sendmessage.php - FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Walker
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

sendmessage.php - FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission

I am having problems sending emails from the contact me form on my forum using sendmessage.php

When a message is sent, no error messages appears to the person sending the message. It looks like the message has been sent successfully.
    However, I am not receiving any of these messages. I looked in the email log and found this error message:

FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission

All other emails appear to be sent successfully. It is just sendmessage.php that does not work.

What can I do to fix this?

Regards

Peter Walker
    http://www.rifeforum.com
  • Peter Walker
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

I have been intensively testing various settings to see if I can get it to work.

I am using the Amazon AWS Email system to send SMTP emails. It works for everything BUT the sendmessage.php Contact Us form and member to member emails, with the following settings:

Use Mailqueue System: No
    Use Cron Based Sending: Yes (switching off made no difference)
    Number of Emails to Send Per Batch: 10
    E-Mail Send Delay: None
    Enable '-f' Parameter: No (enabling made no difference)
    Use Bulk Header? Yes (switching off made no difference)
    Encode as UTF-8 Yes (switching off made no difference)
    SMTP Email: Yes
    SMTP Host: email-smtp.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
    SMTP Port: 587
    SMTP Username: <the correct username>
    SMTP Password: <the correct password>
    SMTP Secure Connection: TLS Legacy. (all other options do not work with Amazon AWS)

I can send an email with Diagnostics and no errors are reported and the email reaches the destination.

Private email notifications work correctly.
    Birthday messages and registration emails are sent.
    Member to member emails are NOT sent. Error: FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission
    Contact us form is not sent: Error: FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission

I tried using PHP mailer instead of SMTP.
    All mails are sent.

I tried using my server's own SMTP email system
    SMTP Port: 465
    SMTP Secure Connection: SSL (all other options do not work)

All emails are sent.

----

So something in the vBulletin email system is not working with Amazon AWS email systems.
    I use AWS as the deliverability of the emails is much better than with the server email system.
    Particularly with newsletters as any email blocks from users are handled by 'Amazon and I do not need to remove myself from loads of spam lists.
    (I only message confirmed members, but you always get a few that complain to their iSPs, anyway. Those that do get kicked off my forum.

---

What can be done to fix this?
    Regards

Peter Walker
    http://www.rifeforum.com

Comment

• gnrx
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Peter Walker
      I have been intensively testing various settings to see if I can get it to work.

I am using the Amazon AWS Email system to send SMTP emails. It works for everything BUT the sendmessage.php Contact Us form and member to member emails, with the following settings:

Use Mailqueue System: No
      Use Cron Based Sending: Yes (switching off made no difference)
      Number of Emails to Send Per Batch: 10
      E-Mail Send Delay: None
      Enable '-f' Parameter: No (enabling made no difference)
      Use Bulk Header? Yes (switching off made no difference)
      Encode as UTF-8 Yes (switching off made no difference)
      SMTP Email: Yes
      SMTP Host: email-smtp.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
      SMTP Port: 587
      SMTP Secure Connection: TLS Legacy. (all other options do not work with Amazon AWS)

I can send an email with Diagnostics and no errors are reported and the email reaches the destination.

Private email notifications work correctly.
      Birthday messages and registration emails are sent.
      Member to member emails are NOT sent. Error: FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission
      Contact us form is not sent: Error: FAILED: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server when ending transmission

I tried using PHP mailer instead of SMTP.
      All mails are sent.

I tried using my server's own SMTP email system
      SMTP Port: 465
      SMTP Secure Connection: SSL (all other options do not work)

All emails are sent.

----

So something in the vBulletin email system is not working with Amazon AWS email systems.
      I use AWS as the deliverability of the emails is much better than with the server email system.
      Particularly with newsletters as any email blocks from users are handled by 'Amazon and I do not need to remove myself from loads of spam lists.
      (I only message confirmed members, but you always get a few that complain to their iSPs, anyway. Those that do get kicked off my forum.

---

What can be done to fix this?
      Its and older thread (sorry for bump), I was have the same problem and I view what is the reasson and the solution, if you (or some other person) have the same issue, post the fix.

Regards.

Comment