X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saeed Fazlollahzadeh
    • Jul 2016
    • 5.2.x

I do proceed certainly.
    Even if you weren't able to do such things, you can send me your sensitive data so that I can help you (if you wish, since I'm not the staff)

Comment

• dimitrios
      • Oct 2008
      • 4.1.x

Thanks Saeed.

In the meanwhile, the problem is unbearable. Check here.

vBulletin has grown into a very buggy software and you are left alone to deal with it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

As said before you cannot use ISO-8859-7 if you want to use any kind of extended characters. By extended I mean anything not in the basic Latin Alphabet. You have to use UTF-8 and a UTF-8 Locale in the system. You must have mbstring and iconv installed in PHP. Your database must use a UTF-8 character set and collation.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dimitrios
          • Oct 2008
          • 4.1.x

Hi Wayne.

The thing is: I set up vBulletin following the exact instructions. Your instructions. To the dot! Then it was working perfectly. Then an update messed up things.
          • I install vB following your instructions
          • I update often, through the years, when a new update is out, following your instructions
          • Everything works great
          • Then yet another update (following your instructions) and suddently I have an encoding problem
          • I open a ticket
          • You ask for database access, I give it to you.
          • Then after months of mostly inactivity and a sporadic trying this and trying that and telling me you cannot solve the problem, you tell me it's my problem.

But, it's the vB update that messed up things!

And if you cannot solve the problem, how am I ever going to be able to solve it?

I never did anything else than following your instructions to the dot.

And btw I am not the only greek forum to use vB and suffer from it the exact same way.

So, instead of keep telling me it's my problem, why not accept it for what it really is: a huge problem caused by vB itself

I know about the refrain that keeps coming back, that my database should be this and that encoding but please, allow me to repeat: The first time I ever created my database for the first vBulletin installation, was following your instructions! So the whatever encoding was set using your instructions.Then it was working perfectly for years. Then after a vB update, following your instructions again, I suddenly had encoding problems.

I am not the only forum that's unhappy with running on vB, for the exact same reason. vB is buggy! Instead of helping fix the mess the software has caused, you keep repeating that it's not your fault and that it's our problem. But how can that be when we use your software following your exact instructions and the mess is caused after your update?

I cannot tell you, Wayne, how let down I am by all this.

I implore you, please fix my problem.

I am enough outdated using non-responsive vB4 (instead of say free phpBB). Now I am outdated and buggy.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Has your host installed the Greek Locale at the server level? I cannot do this for you.

Has your host converted the database to UTF-8? I cannot do this for you.

I also cannot fix bugs in vBulletin 4. I can only support the system as it is written.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment