• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange20
    • May 2017
    • 3.8.x

"Unable to find Type" during upgrade from 3.8.10 / 3.8.11 to 4.2.5

Good morning.

Upgrading from 3.8.10 / 3.8.11 to 4.2.5 the following statement appears during 4.2.5 Beta 2 if albums are present in the file system. The statement also appears if I bring albums from file system into the database.

Code:
    Step 7 - Upgrade Aborted : Unable to find Type : vBForum_IPAddress
    (see also attached image)

If I delete the albums directory from the file system, this upgrade step completes without error.

Any advice appreciated.
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

I'm sure this has been answered for you before.

vBForum_IPAddress is added by step 6, so something odd is going wrong here.

There isnt anything more you can be told simply from screenshots and error messages.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Orange20
      • May 2017
      • 3.8.x

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply.

Before I read this from you.

Please note that vbulletin.org is a place for discussing modifications, we are not able to provide support on vb4 installation issues.

Please post these at vbulletin.com. Thanks.
      Now we have this out of the way, please could you provide assistance on how I can debug this. Something odd is indeed going on, what would the next step be in determining what that is?

Could you confirm which php modules cli needs installed in order to run this? Perhaps it's a module issue.

Comment

• Orange20
        • May 2017
        • 3.8.x

To provide you with as much information as possible, this is how I set up the server.

1. Spin up a fresh AWS Ubuntu instance, o/s only, run the necessary updates.
        2. sudo apt-get install apache2
        3. sudo apt-get install mysql-server
        4. sudo mysql_secure_installation
        5. sudo apt-get install php libapache2-mod-php php-mcrypt php-mysql php-xml php-mbstring php-cli php-curl php-gd
        6. Check for upgrades, make the necessary php.ini memory changes to both ini files (apache and cli (increase to 1G, 64M packet size))
        7. Import 3.8.11 database to MySQL. (db is around 8G, many millions of posts)
        8. Unpack vb4 fresh files from vBulletin.com
        9. copy albums directory and custom* images directory to new installation
        10. update config.php
        11. php -f upgrade.php

Some additional info.

- Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu), PHP 7.0.18-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (cli) ( NTS ), MySQL 5.7.18-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (Ubuntu), 4GB RAM, 2xCPU

- Using the browser to update appears to complete successfully without any errors, both with album pictures in the file system and in the database.

- Using command line to upgrade without albums directory present completes successfully without any errors.

- Using command line to upgrade with albums directory present halts the upgrade process at 4.2.5 Beta 2 step 6/7.

Conclusion: php cli and the presence of albums is causing the issue. How can I troubleshoot this further.
        Last edited by Orange20; Sat 8 Jul '17, 10:12am.

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Orange20
          - Using the browser to update appears to complete successfully without any errors, both with album pictures in the file system and in the database.
          Then why do you care beyond this, if you have successfully upgraded ?

Comment

• Orange20
            • May 2017
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M

Then why do you care beyond this, if you have successfully upgraded ?
            Upgrading via browser takes much longer versus command line. Also my database will continue to increase in size to a point I suspect I will have no alternative than to upgrade via command line, so I suppose I'm futureproofing myself.

Not so important, one method working (browser upgrade) and one method failing (command line upgrade) is inconsistent and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. The more I understand, the less reliant I am of support in the future - which under the circumstances is a good thing right?

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this? I appreciate any brainpower you devote to this.
            Last edited by Orange20; Sat 8 Jul '17, 3:18pm.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

There is nothing to future proof against, there are not going to be any more versions of vB3, or VB4.

There is no way to troubleshoot this remotely, it would need access to the server, database, files etc.
              Its unlikely anyone is going to want to spend time on it, given you have a way to sucessfully upgrade.

Comment