Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conradk
    • Jan 2009

[Forum] Unexpected Text Error when upgrading to 4.2.5

Very similar to the other report here, during the vBulleting 4.2.5 Upgrade System

Action Required Unexpected Text:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?> <error><![CDATA[Could not find phrase 'required_field_x_missing_or_invalid'.]]></error>
    I've tried to re-enter and reload the upgrade system and same error occurs.

Not sure where to look for 'UTF' question posed in the other thread - but am looking.
  • conradk
    • Jan 2009

I temp disabled the install directory so I could access the admin control panel. Based on the following, I'll try to not merge templates during the upgrade and see if I can complete the process.
    Out-of-Date Custom Templates Found!
    There are currently 8 customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted. Some sections of vBulletin may not function if you do not do this!

Click here to view these templates!
    Administrator Attention Required
    Could not find phrase 'after_upgrade_425_rebuild_search_index'.

Comment

• conradk
      • Jan 2009

Nope, same error.

Action Required Unexpected Text:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?> <error><![CDATA[Could not find phrase 'required_field_x_missing_or_invalid'.]]></error>

Forum seems to function currently, so will run with upgrade incomplete and install directory disabled. I'll manually address the customize templates called out and try to resolve the 'after upgrade 425 rebuild search index' error noted in the control panel.

Comment

• conradk
        • Jan 2009

Resolved control panel alerts. Tried to re-run upgrade - seems like it gets stuck on Step 18 with same error.

Comment

• LockedOnLaw
          • Apr 2010
          • 6.X

Originally posted by conradk
          I temp disabled the install directory so I could access the admin control panel. Based on the following, I'll try to not merge templates during the upgrade and see if I can complete the process.
          Out-of-Date Custom Templates Found!
          There are currently 8 customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted. Some sections of vBulletin may not function if you do not do this!

Click here to view these templates!
          Administrator Attention Required
          Could not find phrase 'after_upgrade_425_rebuild_search_index'.
          You should be able to revert the templates once the upgrade is complete and have no issues provided the templates are the only problem.

Comment

• conradk
            • Jan 2009

I was able to continue on with the upgrade by removing the vb_blog product (it was installed but disabled).

Comment

• conradk
              • Jan 2009

And -oops- now I can't read posts because 'blog user' doesn't exist.... luckily had backed up, edited db and left all the blog tables that were stripped out and re-imported them. Interesting that removing the CMS product did not remove all the tables for that product.
              Last edited by conradk; Sun 28 May '17, 8:10am.

Comment

• conradk
                • Jan 2009

For the sake of completing this thread. I had noted that removing the blog product let me continue the upgrade. (I had also removed the cms product.) After completing the upgrade, I couldn't read any threads as there was a MySQL blog user missing table error. Luckily I had made a MySQL backup - so I edited the backup removing all tables except for blog* and cms* tables and imported the missing tables using phpMyAdmin. After which I could open the threads - but weirdly had many posts that 'doubled'. After a bunch of trial and error, went back to product manager and saw that the blog and cms were there now - so I disabled them, and the post doubling stopped. I left it like that and called it a day.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

The blog and CMS products should never be uninstalled.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Art Andrews
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                    The blog and CMS products should never be uninstalled.
                    You say that.... but when your upgrader breaks and won't let you finish without uninstalling...

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Art Andrews

You say that.... but when your upgrader breaks and won't let you finish without uninstalling...
                      The upgrader doesn't break unless there is something else causing the problem, which is clearly the case here.
                      The solution isn't to uninstall the blogs, which as you've seen will cause problems further down the line. The solution is to fix whatever is causing the issue.
                      However you seem to have got past the issue, and as you're not actually using the blogs it's probably best left as it is now.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• rupert.chan
                        • Jun 2017
                        • 4.2.x

I have this exact problem and error message how do I fix?

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

Enable the blogs before starting the upgrader (they should never really be disabled).
                          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• rupert.chan
                            • Jun 2017
                            • 4.2.x

thanks! worked!

Comment