4.2.5 How can I go back to thread marking by cookies?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirkus
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] 4.2.5 How can I go back to thread marking by cookies?

For some reason thread marking has been moved to the database exclusively, removing the admin option of using database or cookies. I'm not sure why an option was removed but it's messed up my forum. I've used a product from vbAdvanced for nearly a decade to show a list of recent posts along with a link to view "first new post" for each member. This particular product is much nicer than the recent posts options provided by the vBulletin script. I assume the vbAdvanced product read the member's cookie for thread marking. Now, with that option taken away and my forum forced to use thread marking with the database, my recent posts list no longer works.

In a different thread a different vBulletin owner was told that using the cookie method was "obsolete." Well, it wasn't obsolete for all of us and it would have been nice if the option to go to database was left up to the administrator, as it's been for many years.

My large membership depends on this recent posts list to follow discussions in a more convenient way than anything else available. I'm pretty sure I stand to loose members because of this change as the subject of my vBulletin forum is very competitive.

Is there any way to restore the thread marking by cookie in version 4.2.5?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

New Posts is only supposed to show new posts. If you've read the thread, it's not new any more.

What you need to use for that is Today's Posts.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kirkus
      Is there any way to restore the thread marking by cookie in version 4.2.5?
      There is not, the code has been removed.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• AlexDuke49th
        • May 2018
        • 4.2.x

I had the same issue. I figured it out.

Solution:

In ../modules/recentthreads.php go to the following lines and delete something....change it from

PHP Code:
        if ($vbulletin->options['threadmarking'] AND $vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) 
        into

PHP Code:
        if ($vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) 
        Do it for Line 151 under // Database read marking and 293 under // Thread read marking

That's all. read post/thread marking works again. yeahhh...

P.s.: Line 151 does it already. Still I did the same for Line 293 as it seems outdated code.

I am not a coder...I just did it by trial and error lol. But it works...

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

The change above is unsupported and may cause issues elsewhere.

Cookie-based thread marking is obsolete and should not be used, for various reasons.

If you want to still see read posts in the list, use Today's Posts, as situated above.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• AlexDuke49th
            • May 2018
            • 4.2.x

You mean put in the today's post in a module to replace the current recenthread module?

I could try. I understand it that way that kirkus should get rid of the portal and just use this. Maybe I missunderstood it.

Edit: could you kindly still explain the reasons? Is it about security issues? Or just compability?
            Last edited by AlexDuke49th; Fri 1 Jun '18, 3:56am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...