• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Matthews
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.1.x

Upgraded to 4.2.5 and now have search issues

Hi
    I upgraded a few days ago to 4.2.5 and all seemed fine.
    I also rebuilt the search index as instructed.

Clicking on New Posts no longer returns the results that the old forum did.

Simply put, some posts are missing from the results.

The correct search results can now only be achieved by Marking the forums Read.
    Then clicking on New Posts, when it says there are no posts to view, clicking on Here for a search of posts during the last 24 hours, this produces the search results as expected.

Any idea what the problem is please?
    Regards
    Trevor
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

4.2.5 has removed the obsolete thread marking option to mark read by cookies.
    It now marks threads read the correct way, which is database marking.

"New Posts" is ONLY supposed to show you threads with unread posts - otherwise they are not "New". Once read, they disappear from the list.

If you want to see all updated threads from the past 24 hours, use Today's Posts, which lists unread in bold and read in normal text.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.1.x

Many thanks Mark.
      Regards
      Trevor

Comment

• Bat21
        • Jan 2003
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
        4.2.5 has removed the obsolete thread marking option to mark read by cookies.
        It now marks threads read the correct way, which is database marking.

"New Posts" is ONLY supposed to show you threads with unread posts - otherwise they are not "New". Once read, they disappear from the list.
        Is it possible via the AdminCP to revert it to how it was in 4.2.3?
        If not, will the list of 'New Posts' keep growing and growing until either read or the 'Mark Posts As Read' option is clicked?

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Bat21
          Is it possible via the AdminCP to revert it to how it was in 4.2.3?
          Nope the code has been removed.

If not, will the list of 'New Posts' keep growing and growing until either read or the 'Mark Posts As Read' option is clicked?
          No, it still uses the time limit option thats always been there (in the ACP), which I think is 7 days by default.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Bat21
            • Jan 2003
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Paul M

Nope the code has been removed.

No, it still uses the time limit option thats always been there (in the ACP), which I think is 7 days by default.
            Thank you for the reply Paul.
            I have to say this seems a backwards step to me. I have been with vB for 14 years and this new way is upsetting my users.
            When they logged on before and hit the new posts button it just used to show them new threads/posts since the last time they logged on, now it is showing them every new post that they haven't read going back days.
            Not a good move guys.
            Where about is this time limit option in AdminCP please?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Thank you for the reply Paul.
              I have to say this seems a backwards step to me. I have been with vB for 14 years and this new way is upsetting my users.
              When they logged on before and hit the new posts button it just used to show them new threads/posts since the last time they logged on, now it is showing them every new post that they haven't read going back days.
              Not a good move guys.
              Where about is this time limit option in AdminCP please?
              You don't really want to mess with that time limit. It doesn't really help.

New Posts is supposed to show you threads with unread posts since last visit.
              It is split into two parts...the top part is actual unread posts since last visit. Below that is a bar that states:
              "The content below has not been updated since your last visit but may still contain unread items."
              These will go back the seven days.

The old cookie based system was inaccurate and obsolete. It doesn't recognise read posts across devices. Back in 2003 when everyone used a single computer and there were no smartphones, that was fine. In the modern era, its behaviour is almost considered a bug. Removing it IS a good move because it didn't work as people expected and was the source of many tickets and complaints believing it to be broken.

Once a thread has been "read" then it will no longer appear in the New Posts list. If anyone wants a list of all threads that day, read or otherwise, use "Today's Posts", which shows unread in bold and read in standard type.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Bat21
                • Jan 2003
                • 4.2.X

Thank you for the reply Mark.
                I guess it was just a 'shock' yesterday to see the change, but now having had chance to use it and see your reasons it all makes sense.

Keep up the good work guys.
                Last edited by Bat21; Sat 10 Jun '17, 11:51pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...