• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gpzzone
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Charset conflict VB 4.2.2.

Hi

Around a month ago I started getting database error on my VB 4.2.2 forum, which has been rock solid for many years now.

Essentially any special characters are being misrepresented in the forum ie German umlauts, and the £ sign is shown as a ?

My question is simple, what is the default charset for this version of VB? I don't know what has suddenly upset it, as I said it has been faultless for as long as I can recall.

My config file is set to utf-8. (Which I think is the default)
    My language code is set to Eng
    My html character set is set to ISO-8859-1

So what should my collation be set to in PHPmy admin?

My host changed it to utf-8 but the problem remains. Is there a field in a table somewhere that isn't changed by a global change to the charset?

I appreciate that this seems to be a recurring issue, but the volume of solutions out there actually adds to my confusion.

Does anyone have any ideas?

What is the default charset, latin1_swedish or utf 8?

Or something else?

Thanks

Craig Davies

Database error in vBulletin 4.2.2: Invalid SQL: SELECT userid, usergroupid, membergroupids, infractiongroupids, username, password, salt FROM db1121_user WHERE username = 'ÌàðèíêàZoona'; MySQL Error : Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' Error Number : 1267 Request Date : Wednesday, May 3rd 2017 @ 02:20:26 AM Error Date : Wednesday, May 3rd 2017 @ 02:20:26 AM Script : http://www.gpzzone.co.uk/gpzforum/login.php?do=login Referrer : http://gpzzone.co.uk/gpzforum/forum.php IP Address : 188.232.74.31 Username : Unregistered Classname : vB_Database_MySQLi MySQL Version :
    "Live in England and subject yourself to the punishing taxes of envy. It's hard to be a winner in a society dedicated to the glorification of losers."
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The default collation in MySQL is latin1_swedish_ci. The default character set is latin1. vBulletin will use whatever is set for the database when it adds tables.

We recommend utf8_general_ci for the collation and UTF8 for the character set in the database. To fix the illegal mix of collations you would have to choose one and convert the database, tables and each field in the tables to use the one you choose.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment