X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scream And Fly
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.6.x

VBulletin 4 Development Option

A lot of sites are still running vB4, and I was wondering, if enough customers were willing to pay a yearly support fee to have vBulletin continue development on vB4 (albeit on a smaller scale), would this be a possible option to help keep vB4 going for those of us that really depend on it? I don't mean to suggest that vB4 be given the kind of priority that the current products need, but maybe a small group of developers or something similar.

If this had been asked before, I apologize. I've been a vBulletin customer since 2001 and I've always been happy with the product. I feel that if vB4 was given more development love it could really be an incredible CMS/Forums solution.

My vB4 site is at www.screamandfly.com

Thanks you
    Greg
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Scream And Fly
    A lot of sites are still running vB4, and I was wondering, if enough customers were willing to pay a yearly support fee to have vBulletin continue development on vB4 (albeit on a smaller scale), would this be a possible option to help keep vB4 going for those of us that really depend on it? I don't mean to suggest that vB4 be given the kind of priority that the current products need, but maybe a small group of developers or something similar.

If this had been asked before, I apologize. I've been a vBulletin customer since 2001 and I've always been happy with the product. I feel that if vB4 was given more development love it could really be an incredible CMS/Forums solution.

My vB4 site is at www.screamandfly.com

Thanks you
    Greg
    Thanks for you feedback...I'm afraid there is not going to be any further official development of vBulletin 4 beyond 4.2.5. That will be the last in the vBulletin 4 line.
    All development resources are focused on vBulletin 5.

vbulletin.org is a useful resource where there are still plenty of third party coders working on vBulletin 4.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• webmastersun
      • Oct 2013
      • 4.2.X

I like this idea and to be honest I paid more to improve my vB 4 forum.

If vB4 is supported better then I could pay less for vb coders or not going to think about a move to other forum cms.

Originally posted by Mark.B

Thanks for you feedback...I'm afraid there is not going to be any further official development of vBulletin 4 beyond 4.2.5. That will be the last in the vBulletin 4 line.
      All development resources are focused on vBulletin 5.

vbulletin.org is a useful resource where there are still plenty of third party coders working on vBulletin 4.
      Reading this is making me think about a plan for the future because if vB is not supported any more then we should have another solutions.
      I saw many disadvantages of vB 5 thus could not go with this option.

Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Understood and we appreciate your feedback. There are no plans to change this though. Prefer to be honest and not give false hope.

As with all such matters, "never say never" but I would amazed if it changed as things stand. vB5 is the focus and it's doing well.

Anyone who has a vB5 license should download it and set up a private test install and have a play. Many people's opinions of vB5 are based on what it was like at 5.0.0 and it's light years away from that now.

If you don't have a vB5 license, I have two demo sites in my sig, or you can request our temporary demo with admincp access here: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• blue7
          • Sep 2008
          • 4.2.x

Understood and we appreciate your feedback. There are no plans to change this though. Prefer to be honest and not give false hope.

As with all such matters, "never say never" but I would amazed if it changed as things stand. vB5 is the focus and it's doing well.

Anyone who has a vB5 license should download it and set up a private test install and have a play. Many people's opinions of vB5 are based on what it was like at 5.0.0 and it's light years away from that now.

If you don't have a vB5 license, I have two demo sites in my sig, or you can request our temporary demo with admincp access here: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/
          My concern is what if after we upgrade to vB5 and you release vB6 because many people are not happy with vB5 no matter how hard you work on or forcing.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

I suspect that a vBulletin 6 will come one day. There currently no work being done towards such a release.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Scream And Fly
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.6.x

I really appreciate the feedback on this.

Migrating to an entirely new platform would be a very immense undertaking for us. vB5 would probably work fine for our needs, though we would definitely have to split the site up again to use another CMS since vB5 has no full CMS. We will have to do something soon, though.

I'm wondering if anybody else running vB4 has solved the spacebar issue? We're still plagued by that one.

Comment

• webmastersun
                • Oct 2013
                • 4.2.X

I'm wondering if anybody else running vB4 has solved the spacebar issue? We're still plagued by that one.
                I don't see this issue on my forum

You can read guide here http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=323807

There are some same topics already solved this problem easily.

Using forum search function can help you.
                Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• IggyP
                  • Mar 2012

Many people's opinions of vB5 are based on what it was like at 5.0.0 and it's light years away from that now.
                  in my opinion vb5 is still not even close to being used for a professional publishing site.....maybe a casual commenting type of forum but there are many and more functional options besides vb if that is all you are after...

so many years after release vb5 still lacks basic functionality when u get to looking close at it......here are just a couple perhaps some people didnt notice but its true unfortunately>>

-CANNOT HAVE MORE THAN 10 ALBUMS OR 60 IMAGES PER ALBUM IF YOU WISH TO ACTUALLY USE THAT CONTENT OUTSIDE THE ALBUM(aka cross-publish)>>backlog!
                  -CANNOT RESTORE CONTENT WITHOUT BREAKING SPECIAL CHARACTERS (pretty basic "editor works" type of stuff) ive reported it>> straight to backlog sigh......
                  -SEARCH RESULTS IMPROPERLY ORDERED(really? still?)

there is more, i could make a whole list but over the years its just wore me down to waiting and more waiting.....

its when u actually try to use vb5 more than casually is where you start finding MANY problems.......maybe next year its ready? i still think it has the best promise of future functionality but its light years away from that now.

Comment

• user 1-2-3
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 4.2.x

As for me I really don't see any reason (except money) they stop vB4 and made vB5. I didn't see any website running vB5, maybe they are, but how many in percentage?

For the time been we decide not to move to vB5 for sure, not to go to another software solutions. We've decide to stick with vB4 and develop our own tools to get an options we don't have in current version.

My opinion is - that was a greate mistake to stop vB4 development. But it's your choice. We will not suffer.

By the way I've spent to vB licenses $5K+.

Comment

• Paul M
                      Former Lead Developer
                      vB.Com & vB.Org
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by user 1-2-3
                      I didn't see any website running vB5, maybe they are, but how many in percentage?
                      About 4% of sites that are running vbulletin are using vB5, the rest are running vB4 & vB3 (split about 60 / 40).

Originally posted by user 1-2-3
                      My opinion is - that was a greate mistake to stop vB4 development. But it's your choice. We will not suffer.
                      Most people would agree with you (me included) but thats the decision they made, we can do nothing about it.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• MasetX
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Paul M
                        About 4% of sites that are running vbulletin are using vB5, the rest are running vB4 & vB3 (split about 60 / 40).

Most people would agree with you (me included) but thats the decision they made, we can do nothing about it.

For sure.
                        Big forums such as mine are migrating to other platforms because there is a reasonable suspicion that IB will retain this kind of marketing in the future and then you will stay on vB5.

Comment