Asset Manager Not Working (no images added to upper pane)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scream And Fly
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.6.x

Asset Manager Not Working (no images added to upper pane)

VBulletin Version: 4.2.3 Patch Level 2
    Site URL: http://www.screamandfly.com/content.php
    PHP had not been updated prior to this issue occurring.
    CPanel may have been updated

When I try to upload an image into a folder in the Asset Manager, the file seems to upload, however it does not appear in the upper pane of the Asset Manager window. The image sometimes appears in the bottom pane, and other times you will see the image border there, but no image. If you close the Asset Manager and open it again, you will usually see the image in the lower pane but not on the top.

You can insert the thumbnail (that appears in the bottom pane) into the post, however, if you double-click on the thumbnail to try to set attributes of the image (centering, size, etc) it will not let you. It’s behaving as if the image was just never uploaded to begin with, and I am not positive if it is.

I tested this on Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, all three with the same result. This is also affecting the forums, though to a lesser degree. Images seem to be able to be uploaded into forum posts when you use the Insert Image button, however the Asset Manager is not functioning perfectly in the forums either. It seems that only sometimes do images fully upload into the Asset Manager in the forums, and appear properly in the folder view/top pane.

However... I seem to be able to double-click to edit previously uploaded images from older articles, though I cannot upload new images into those old folders that contain the article images.

I can reproduce this issue 100% of the time in the CMS articles. It was working perfectly up until about the time-frame of the last few weeks. The last article that I published successfully using the CMS was March 10. I had not made any changes, updates, or modifications to the site.

This must have happened sometime during the last month, but I do not know specifically when, since I only use the Asset Manager for CMS posts. I would greatly appreciate any help.

I am going to be moving to VBulletin 5, but while this is being sorted, I must have my site functioning, especially for my advertisers.

Thank you! I would be most grateful for any help with this issue.
    Greg
    Last edited by Scream And Fly; Mon 3 Apr '17, 11:20pm.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Moving to vBulletin 5 will not fix the issue. Upgrading a broken site generally results in an upgraded, but still broken, site.

If this used to work then something has changed on the server to break it.

What version of php is the admincp reporting? It MUST be either php 5.4, 5.5 or 5.6 for vBulletin 4.2.3. No other version will work without issues.

As an aside, please ensure you carry out a test upgrade of a mirror of your site, before deploying vB5 live. vB5 is a very different product to vB4, it has some new functionality but some vB4 functionality was removed. Please be certain vB5 suits your site before going ahead. It suits some sites but not others.

No custom styles or plugins from vB4 will work on vB5. You need to be certain of the reason you want to upgrade before you do so. "To get the latest version" is a bad reason on its own.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Scream And Fly
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.6.x

Thank you so much for your help Mark.B. My PHP version is 5.5.35. I am on a dedicated server and the only thing they said they changed was white-listing some ModSecurity rules, which would not have any impact whatsoever on this, would it? They said it's possible CPanel was updated as well. Would that possibly be a cause? That is all I could find out.

I will contact my host again to see if they can offer any insight into possible server changes. If you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful for your help.

Also, I agree with you in that I need to correct this before my upgrade. I was just mentioning that my plan is to upgrade to VB5, but not to actually correct this issue. I should have worded that differently, sorry about that. If and when I do upgrade though, it will not be immediately. It would be a big move for me and I would have a lot of research to figure out if any gains would be worth it, at least in the near future..

I actually like VB4 a lot. My site has been good to my business. The Asset Manager has always been a little buggy for me for years, but this time it's just broken for some reason.

I was mainly looking to upgrade for more ease-of-use features, and also for current support. I have an issue with the spacebar not working when quoting posts, and I read here that issue is not going to be fixed since VB4 is not a current product. I'm just concerned if a larger issue should surface in the future with no easy solution, I might be in trouble.

Thank you so much Mark,
      Greg

Comment

• Scream And Fly
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.6.x

Alright, just an update - it's working now. And I have no idea why and what happened.
        I am very sorry for this false alarm. I tested and retested for over an hour before and it just did not work as I described. I suppose I should not complain, but I am very sorry and I thank you very much for your help.

Greg

Comment