Problem with Facebook Platform and Apple's Safari browser, too many redirects

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sv1cec
    • May 2004

Problem with Facebook Platform and Apple's Safari browser, too many redirects

Hi there,

I have just noticed that I have a problem with Safari browser (latest version 10.0.3), when trying to access my vBulletin site (vB 4.2.2 patch level 4), if Facebook platform is enabled.

When I access the site from Safari, I get the first page, but as soon as I log in (using a non-facebook member user name and password), then the site does not load and pops up an error about too many redirects. If I disable the Facebook Platform from the Options/Facebook Platform page, everything works as it should.

I noticed that in my Facebook application, I haven't defined any "Valid OAuth redirect URIs". I have no idea what to enter there, so I've left it blank. Maybe this is the problem? I also have "Force Web OAuth Reauthentication" set to No, and Client OAuth Login and Web OAuth Login set to Yes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    John Caradimas
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

You should upgrade to 4.2.3 in the first instance, and then follow this guide:
    www.vbulletin.com/go/fbconnect
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• sv1cec
      • May 2004

Is vB 4.2.4 OK with the above problem? Or should I stick with 4.2.3?

Also, either vB versions (4.2.3 or 4.2.4), are they OK with php 7.0.10 and mysql 10.1.19?

One final question, if you do not mind. Since this upgrade means that my site will be moved to a new server, I have kept the old site running and copied everything to the new server. Obviously at this moment, the new server has a different URL than the old one.

Here is a full description of my situation:

Old server URL: forum.xxxxxxxxx.com
      New server URL: newforum.xxxxxxxxx.com

I plan to upgrade newforum.xxxxxxxxx.com to vB 4.2.4. What is the best method to do the upgrade? Change the site URL in admincp before shutting vB down to newforum.xxxxxxxxx.com and do the upgrade or enter an entry in hosts file, pointing the old server URL to the new server IP address and to the upgrade?

Many thanks
      Last edited by sv1cec; Sat 11 Mar '17, 3:03am.
      John Caradimas

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

It's worth being aware that Facebook Connect is deprecated in vBulletin 4, as it is not our current product line and is not under active development.
        No changes are being made to the Facebook code in vBulletin 4 at all. If it works, great, but if it doesn't, there's nothing we can do.
        Changes to the Facebook API later this year will quite probably break Facebook Connect in vBulletin 4 altogether.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• sv1cec
          • May 2004

I have about 280 members who have registered using Facebook. What do you suggest I do with them?

Also, since I plan to upgrade to 4.2.4 anyway, can you please tell me if php and mysql versions mentioned above, are OK?
          John Caradimas

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

4.2.4 will not work with php 7 - you need 4.2.5 for that. MySQL is fine.

Facebook - you will need to issue Facebook users with a password generated from the forum, then they will be able to log in using that. Their accounts will be otherwise unaffected.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by sv1cec
              I have about 280 members who have registered using Facebook. What do you suggest I do with them?

Also, since I plan to upgrade to 4.2.4 anyway, can you please tell me if php and mysql versions mentioned above, are OK?
              Tell them if it stops allowing them in via facebook to just use the password reset facility to send themselves a password. In order for this to work of course, they must make sure their forum e-mail address is correct. As mentioned above, vB 4.2.4 is not designed to run on php 7, you need 4.2.5 for that.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• sv1cec
                • May 2004

Guys, many thanks for your answers, appreciated.

Any idea when 4.2.5 will be released as stable?

My ISP just set up a dedicated server for me, with php 7 and 10.1.19-MariaDB, so that I can move my site there and install 4.2.4, to avoid the Facebook issue. I hate to have to ask them to downgrade php! I can email those members who have registered with FB and ask them to get a password via the Forgot your Password link, not a bad idea at all.

Regarding my question about the site's URL, what is your recommendation?
                John Caradimas

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

You need to change the site URL before moving anything, as it will prevent access afterwards.

Just to be clear on the Facebook side of things....nothing relating to Facebook is fixed in 4.2.4 or 4.2.5...the Facebook element of vB4 isn't being worked on at all.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• sv1cec
                    • May 2004

I got that. So I just emailed my Facebook users, telling them to ask for a new password from my site. Thanks for the clarifications on that.

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.

Am I correct on this?
                    John Caradimas

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

I got that. So I just emailed my Facebook users, telling them to ask for a new password from my site. Thanks for the clarifications on that.

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.

Am I correct on this?
                      Pretty much...it depends what you're wanting to achieve. I thought there was an upgrade happening in the middle of this needed testing.
                      If not, and it's just a server move, then really you can just move it over and re-point the DNS for the domain...don't really need to worry about different URLs.
                      Close the site on the old server with a message about the move and that they should see the new site soon (when the DNS propagates) and then anyone who still gets the 'old' version will realise.

Also make sure config.php points to the right database on the right server.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• sv1cec
                        • May 2004

Well, the old server runs vB 4.2.2 patch level 4. Obviously I want the new server to run the latest stable release, which is 4.2.4. So yeah, I missed a step in my description above, there is an upgrade happening after the site is copied to the new server. So that paragraph should read:

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I upgrade the vB on the new server and I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.
                        John Caradimas

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Well, the old server runs vB 4.2.2 patch level 4. Obviously I want the new server to run the latest stable release, which is 4.2.4. So yeah, I missed a step in my description above, there is an upgrade happening after the site is copied to the new server. So that paragraph should read:

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I upgrade the vB on the new server and I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.
                          I still think this changing of URLs is just making work.

Close the existing site.
                          Copy the database at that point to the new server (so it is still set to closed)
                          Upload the 4.2.4 files to the new server
                          Re-point the DNS
                          Once you can see the 'new' site (you can use the Windows hosts' file to force this if it's taking too long), run the upgrade script.
                          Open the site on the 'new' server.

Everyone has their own preferred way of doing this, but that's the most straightforward.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

I do it in a slightly different order to Mark, but the principle is pretty much the same.

Close the existing site.
                            Once closed, copy the database to the new server.
                            Upload the new version files to the new server
                            Add a record for the new IP to your local hosts file, and connect to new server.
                            Upgrade the new forum (run the upgrade script) and then open the forum.
                            Renove the new IP from your to local hosts file and re-point the main DNS to the new IP.

People will start connecting to the new (upgraded) site as their DNS updates.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• sv1cec
                              • May 2004

Yeap, that's what I wanted to do, in the first place. The only difference was, that I was going to have the old server working for the rest of the world, while I would be upgrading the new server and testing it, using an entry in my local hosts file.
                              John Caradimas

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...