Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick1
    • Dec 2010

Search engine optimization

Hello all, Why is there no posts about seo for 4.2.0. Or is that a silly question??
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Perhaps because no one is that interested, esp for 4.2.0 which is almost 5 years old now, and unsupported.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

'SEO' was mostly the art of fooling search engines into listing sites higher than they should using trickery and obfuscation.

These days, search engines are wise such things, and a large part of 'SEO' is now a waste of time. Though not all of it.
      What is useful is carrying high quality content, laid out in an easily accessible, user friendly way. Submitting sitemaps is also useful.
      Most software has 'relevant URL' structures available nowadays, though even these are not the benefit they once were.

SEO is now mostly associated with marketing types trying to sell 'SEO services' which are of little to no value.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• nick1
        • Dec 2010

Thanks, But how do you get higher on the google list??

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
          • Nov 2014
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by nick1
          Thanks, But how do you get higher on the google list??
          Focus your attention on content, then focus on offsite seo. Another words telling search engines how to rank your site through anchor texts by offsite backlinks to that content. For example, if you have a site that you want Google to list under, "my site rocks" then create an anchor text on another site using that anchor text to link to yours, my site rocks.

Now when Google crawls the page it will see "my site rocks" linked to my site and will index the site in the search engine under those keywords for others to find. The more links that go back to the site and content are like an upvote in Google. I do not recommend you pay someone for this service, as to date I've spent thousands without results. It is a tedious and time consuming process that needs to be done within the guidelines of Google's rules, but a rewarding one until organic links driven by traffic take over. This will get you in the SERPs, and it will push you to the front of it.

If you want to know some tricks with onsite SEO or improvements made to the software, you might want to check out what I did to my site: Vbulletin 5 Mutliple H1 Tags Resulting in SEO SERP Penalty

I realize you're using Vbulletin 4, but the principles are the same. Double check your H tags etc.... you can basically ensure the software is optimum for SEO, but your main focus should be content. If you take the time building massive back links to your site, what use is that if it has thin or uninteresting content? Visitors will not sign up or stay on your site.

Enjoy,
          William

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...