X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FourTwenty
    • Aug 2005
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Poll Bug

In regards to displaying publicly view-able voting in polls...

We run monthly contests using the polls and to avoid cheaters, we decided to try publicly displayed votes.

This has worked wonders for removing a majority of the cheating element, however we discovered a bug.

Our guideline states you can only vote, if you have at least 50 posts.

So when we catch votes being made by members with less than 50 votes, we remove a vote, however the member name remains on the poll, even after clearing VB cache.

Is this a known bug? Are we doing something wrong? Can you please help us figure this out?

Thank you.

• Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

How are you removing the vote ?
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• FourTwenty
      • Aug 2005
      • 4.1.x

Only way we have found is to click the pencil at top of the poll, then change the number from say 6, to 5.

Is there another way?

Thank you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You can prevent users with less than 50 posts from voting, to begin with...

1) Create a new usergroup for people with more than 50 posts. Base it off the registered usergroup. Name it whatever you want.

2) Edit the Registered Usergroup under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager. Set Can Vote on Polls to No.

3) Set up a Promotion so when a person passing 50 posts, they get moved from the Registered Usergroup to the new one you created in step 1. Usergroups -> Promotions.

p.s. This permission is per channel in vBulletin 5.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 13 Feb '17, 12:48pm.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by FourTwenty
          Only way we have found is to click the pencil at top of the poll, then change the number from say 6, to 5.

Is there another way?

Thank you.
          All that does is lower the vote total. It has no way of knowing which member's vote you are trying to remove.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• FourTwenty
            • Aug 2005
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            You can prevent users with less than 50 posts from voting, to begin with...

1) Create a new usergroup for people with more than 50 posts. Base it off the registered usergroup. Name it whatever you want.

2) Edit the Registered Usergroup under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager. Set Can Vote on Polls to No.

3) Set up a Promotion so when a person passing 50 posts, they get moved from the Registered Usergroup to the new one you created in step 1. Usergroups -> Promotions.

p.s. This permission is per channel in vBulletin 5.
            Thank you for the great suggestion, was hoping to avoid setting up a new usergroup, so many steps involved.

Is that our only choice, no way to remove a vote otherwise and remove the member name from the list?

Thank you.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by FourTwenty

Is there another way?

Thank you.
              All thats doing is editing the total, not removing anyones actual vote.

As far as I recall, you can remove actual votes in the ACP.

Comment

• FourTwenty
                • Aug 2005
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Paul M

As far as I recall, you can remove actual votes in the ACP.
                Any chance you can be more specific, as to how?

Just checked the "Who Voted" but didn't see anything that might work yet.

Thank you.

Comment

• Paul M
                  Former Lead Developer
                  vB.Com & vB.Org
                  • Sep 2004

Thats why I said, "as far as I recall"

Looks like you actually cannot - you can only remove the whole poll.

You would have to delete the vote from the actual table, not something to try unless you know what you are doing.

Comment

• FourTwenty
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 4.1.x

Thanks guys!

Comment

• FourTwenty
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 4.1.x

One more questions please, once I finish setting up the second usergroup without voting ability and setting up the promotion, what is the best/safest way to get all of the existing members from the registered usergroup, to the new usergroup with voting ability? Thank you.

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Unless you have some sort of rush, just wait for the system to do the promotions.

Comment

• FourTwenty
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 4.1.x

My concern is that once we remove voting and private messages from the registered usergroup, none of our 60,000 daily visitors will be able to vote or send private messages, causing a tsunamis of confusion and workload from complaints, while we wait for the system to do the promotions. Can you please be more specific to resolve my confusion, does the system automatically place everyone past 50 posts to the new usergroup, like every 5 minutes on a cron or something? We need to be 100% certain we understand this process, before moving forward, with such an enormous community, I'm sure you can relate. Thank you.

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

does the system automatically place everyone past 50 posts to the new usergroup, like every 5 minutes on a cron or something?
                            Yes (except its not every 5 minutes, that would be excessive, I think its run every hour)

Comment

• FourTwenty
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 4.1.x

OK guys, we have a problem.

I setup the promotion like this.

Reputation Level 0
                              Days Registered 0
                              Posts 50
                              Promotion Strategy Posts
                              Choose the way that you wish the above values to be evaluated
                              Promotion Type Primary Usergroup
                              Type of promotion that the user is to receive. Select 'Primary Usergroup' to change the user's main usergroup to this group or select 'Additional Usergroups' to add this group to the user's additional usergroups
                              Reputation Comparison Type Greater or equal to
                              This option only applies to reputation and only when reputation has been selected as part of the Promotion Strategy above.
                              Move User to Usergroup Established
                              Jumping is evaluated based on the time period defined in the Scheduled Tasks section (Default: Every 1 Hour)

The new "Established" usergroup has the exact same settings/permissions as "Registered".

We waited for the scheduled task to run, afterwards, only 88 of the 130,000 members were moved to "Established"

This is the exact type of problem I was referring to when I created this thread, trying to understand the process to avoid problems like this ahead of time.

How do we get the rest of the members over to Established? Is this only working for people who are logged in? Did I set something wrong?

Please help sort out the mystery as soon as you can. Thank you.
                              Last edited by FourTwenty; Sun 19 Feb '17, 4:35pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...