• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonyolm
    • Feb 2010
    • 3.8.x

Do the facebook features work on Vbull 4.2.3 Patch Level 2

Do the facebook features work on Vbull 4.2.3 Patch Level 2

I seem to have conflicting answers when searching this topic.

I just want like/share buttons. I don't need one button logins.

I activate the facebook options in the control panel. Put the basic facebook data required. App ID/secret

It seems to work for a few minutes but as I'm poking around my site the site will stall.

I'm able to click on like/share which work but as I poke around clicking on links or what's new the site just hangs.

If I turn the facebook feature off the site is totally fine instantly afterwards.

Is there a mod that people recommend to do this if the facebook features do not work supplied by vbulletin?

I'm willing to upgrade to vbull 5 if the facebook options work.

My forum has over 600,000 threads, 1.3 million posts and I'm happy otherwise I would just like the best option to add like/share buttons.

• Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

The short answer is no, because Facebook keep updating their code and we are no longer updating the corresponding code in vBulletin 4.

However, that shouldn't cause the issues you describe.

I have known Facebook Connect dramatically slow sites down though, in terms of page load.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• tonyolm
      • Feb 2010
      • 3.8.x

Fair answer.

Could be that it is so dramatically slow it seems to be hanging.

What about Vbull 5? Will the Facebook options works correctly for that version?

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by tonyolm
        Fair answer.

Could be that it is so dramatically slow it seems to be hanging.

What about Vbull 5? Will the Facebook options works correctly for that version?
        Yes they do. Investigate and test vB5 though before upgrading....it is a very different product to vB4.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• webmastersun
          • Oct 2013
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by tonyolm
          My forum has over 600,000 threads, 1.3 million posts and I'm happy otherwise I would just like the best option to add like/share buttons.
          I am having Facebook connect and Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+, StumbleUpon button share on my forum without any problems.
          You can add them on your forum that don't need to upgrade to vB5

Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• tonyolm
            • Feb 2010
            • 3.8.x

Thank you webmastersun. Are you using a mod or did you edit the code and insert "facebook" button code? Which template would you edit to add something just under where the thread shows....

(reply to thread)
            Thread: "title of thread"

Basically the spot where the facebook options in VBull would add the like/share button.

I haven't edited style templates in ages.

Comment

• vpcarrocci
              • Mar 2011
              • 4.2.x

vBulletin 4.2.3_PL2 has a Social Bookmarking Manager built into the software. You will find it by navigating to AdminCP > Settings > Social Bookmarking Manager. It will allow you to enable bookmarking for Facebook, Twitter, Google, Digg, del.icio.us & StumbleUpon. You can find out more about it be looking at the vBulletin Manual: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=40203602

Another option is to check out this mod available at vbulletin.org: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=311379

I use both on my site as it allows the stock vBulletin manager to present icons at the bottom of the page while the mod allows me to insert the icons at the top of the thread display which may make it more visible to your users.

You can see how I have it implemented on my site at www.grandcanyonstatebbq.com.
              Ladies & Gentleman, take my advice:
              Pull down your pants and slide on the ice!
              www.grandcanyonstatebbq.com

Comment

• tonyolm
                • Feb 2010
                • 3.8.x

Thank you very much. What I'm going to figure out is which template to edit to insert a facebook like/share in the same basic spot that the built in facebook options would have placed the buttons.

AdminCP > Options > Facebook Options The spot where that option placed them is fine.

I think the like and share feature carries more value than social media buttons at the bottom of the threads.

I like your message board. Nice colors and I like Barbecue.... I want the like / share in the same spot you have them at.

See if you can get approved for Matched Content from Adsense. They may work well for you where you have the tall ad on the right.

Comment