Problem installing 4.2.3

1. vBulletin Version - 4.2.3
    2. PHP Version - 5.6
    3. MySQL Version - 5.5.52
    4. Any Addons installed - no
    5. Does the issue occur in a default style? - N/A
    6. Error message on the screen' - N/A
    7. Browser and Browser version used. Firefox 50.1.0
    8. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue.......

I have a brand new domain and web account on GoDaddy. Folder on server is empty except for default files that came with account. I downloaded vBulletin 4.2.3 from my account here. Unzipped files to my folder on my drive. I then updated my config.php file with the info needed from my host and admin info.

Next I logged into cPanel and created my database and database administrator account. Put this info in config.php also. Using Filezilla I upload files to server. Once they are all copied I open Firefox and enter the install URL and start install. Go through the initial questions and install starts. In the install window I see the files installing and moving through the steps. This is where the issue happens.

Install gets all the way to.... Status: Processing CMS, Step 22 of 33. 58% Complete. Nothing more happens. It just sits here with no more movement. The little status indicator is blinking but nothing more happens. I left it like this overnight thinking it was just taking awhile. Nope, 9 hours later and its still sitting.

I closed my browser window, delete all files from server via Filezilla and then delete database and admin account in cPanel. Completely start over and the exact same thing. Why won't my install get past this point???
  • Mark L.
    • Feb 2014
    • 4.2.X

13 views and no suggestions?

Comment

• Riasat
      • Aug 2006

There might be more information in the CONSOLE of your browser (Press F12).

Btw, GoDaddy servers are extremely undesirable. I'd personally recommend you switch to something better (like BlueHost/HostGator etc assuming you are using shared server).

Comment

• Mark L.
        • Feb 2014
        • 4.2.X

vbulletin asat;n4362992]There might be more information in the CONSOLE of your browser (Press F12).

Btw, GoDaddy servers are extremely undesirable. I'd personally recommend you switch to something better (like BlueHost/HostGator etc assuming you are using shared server).
        OK I tried the install again and the same thing. This time I looked at the CONSOLE of my browser pressing F12. Here's what I found....

Failed to load resource: net : : ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE http://www.marsh-reef.net/forums/install/install.php (this is in red with X in red circle)

AJAX Error: Status = 0: communication failure vbulletin_ajax_error_handler @ vbulletin-core.js:11 (this is in yellow with exclamation point in yellow triangle)

Any help? My install.php is there and matches the one from my directory. My vbulletin-core.js file is there and same size as the original. Can't edit to see whats inside.
        Last edited by Mark.B; Sun 22 Jan '17, 3:03pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

When it stalls, change the end of the url from /install.php to /upgrade.php and run it from there. It should carry on.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark L.
            • Feb 2014
            • 4.2.X

That seems to have worked! Now it's asking "would you like to install the cms default data? This will overwrite any data you may already have in your cms."

Then it wants an existing username to attribute data to. I have OK and Skip.

Comment

• Mark L.
              • Feb 2014
              • 4.2.X

I just clicked skip and didn't enter a username. Install finished and I have a brand new install of vB! I was able to log into my admincp and also my forum. Created a thread and a few users. Please let me know if it was OK to skip or if I should reinstall and enter a username and click OK. I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

It's fine to skip that step - by skipping it, your CMS section will be empty of content. If you'd entered a username there, then default "example" articles would have been added to your site at that stage.
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Mark L.
                  • Feb 2014
                  • 4.2.X

Thanks Trevor. I should add that during the install it hung up about 10 Times total. I just kept reloading the page until the install started again. Most times I had to reload 5 times in a row before it would start. Any idea why this happens?

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Mark L.
                    Thanks Trevor. I should add that during the install it hung up about 10 Times total. I just kept reloading the page until the install started again. Most times I had to reload 5 times in a row before it would start. Any idea why this happens?
                    Yes - GoDaddy. They have very restrictive configurations and that almost always happens on an install / upgrade on their servers.

Once you're up and running, it should probably be ok. Myself, I'd use a different host, there are loads of better hosts out there.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark L.
                      • Feb 2014
                      • 4.2.X

Thanks Mark B. Could you name a couple you recommend? I saw Riasat posted one. Just looking for options. I'm very new to this and was pointed to GoDaddy not knowing any better. I'd hate to run into issues when I try to migrate my live database from my current host to GoDaddy.

Comment

• Riasat
                        • Aug 2006

Go with the ones I mentioned. For shared servers, they are more than ok.

If I remember correctly, Hostgator will even help you migrate your site for free.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mark L.
                          Install gets all the way to.... Status: Processing CMS, Step 22 of 33. 58% Complete. Nothing more happens. It just sits here with no more movement. The little status indicator is blinking but nothing more happens. I left it like this overnight thinking it was just taking awhile. Nope, 9 hours later and its still sitting.
                          This is because GoDaddy will time you out. We have no control over this. Switch from install.php to upgrade.php in the address bar and run from there. When it times out, a refresh should hopefully pick up where it left off and allow you to progress.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment