• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eboggs_jkvl
    • Feb 2005
    • 4.2.x

RSS feed stopped making threads

I'm running 4.2.3 Patch level 2 PHP 5.6.26

I have 2 RSS feeds. When I am in RSS Manager and EDIT for the RSS, I can click on preview and get a list of found topics at the top of the page. I save the page, Click on "Run scheduled task now" and I get 0 threads made on my forum.

I get this when I "Run Scheduled task now"
    RSS Poster Robot

RSS Feed Manager

Done

If I edit the field (not changing anything) the chron job "Might" run the next morning and this is hit or miss. I have really no clue what I did to get it to do anything to make the chron run. The feeds were working and stopped a few months back. I've given up trying to get them to run on the 12 hour interval set in the RSS manager so I've come here for help.

Here are the 2 RSS feeds that I am running.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/h...s.newsrss.html

http://www.motortrend.com/widgetrss/...nd-stories.xml

Am I wrong to conclude that clicking on "Preview Feed" and getting 5 items to list at the top of the screen, that if I click "Run Scheduled Task Now", that I would create 5 threads to appear on my forum?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

E. Boggs
    Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; Sun 11 Dec '16, 7:50am.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

The preview doesn't take into account content that was already recorded of being imported. If you click the "Reset" checkbox in the RSS feed settings, save changes, then run the scheduled task you should get the same number as listed in the preview for sure.

As for the times the task runs, vBulletin scheduled tasks only run if there is traffic on your page around the time the task is supposed to run. It's the loading of a page that triggers them. If your site doesn't get regular traffic it is possible some tasks just won't run.

This is a time when "bots" that crawl your page for search engines can really come in handy, they tend to be a constant flow of traffic but if they've been blocked for some reason or your site is too new to be visited by bots this can increase the chances of missing scheduled tasks.

Comment

• eboggs_jkvl
      • Feb 2005
      • 4.2.x

Ok, if I set it to look every 10 minutes, then the site would get RSS feeds during the day when the site is active?

Still the question lingers, if I get 5 in the preview, why don't I get any when I click run scheduled tasks now?

Comment