• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EliasAlucard
    • Nov 2009

Alter permission for database?

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade from vBulletin 4.2.2 to 4.2.3, and I get this:

Due to the following errors, the install/upgrade can not continue:
    You not have 'ALTER' permission for this database. Please contact your host and request the 'ALTER' permission.
    What am I supposed to do now?
    “Human beings are animals: very unusual animals, to be sure, but nevertheless animals. In origin, we are not fallen angels, but apes arisen.” — Michael H. Hart
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Hello,

The database user setup in your config.php file is required to have all MySQL permissions. This was a prerequisite to installing the software. It would seem someone changed the permissions at some point.

If your host offers a control panel like cPanel (not to be confused with the vBulletin Admin CP) then there should be a MySQL icon that will allow you to alter permissions of database users.

You can check the /includes/config.php file on your server to see the database user and database name your forum is using.

You need to make sure that database user has full permissions on the database in question.

Otherwise, contact your host as suggested, this is something they would be able to do for you if you tell them the database username and database name from your config.php file and say the user needs all MySQL privileges on that database.

Comment

• EliasAlucard
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Joe D.
      Hello,

The database user setup in your config.php file is required to have all MySQL permissions. This was a prerequisite to installing the software. It would seem someone changed the permissions at some point.

If your host offers a control panel like cPanel (not to be confused with the vBulletin Admin CP) then there should be a MySQL icon that will allow you to alter permissions of database users.

You can check the /includes/config.php file on your server to see the database user and database name your forum is using.

You need to make sure that database user has full permissions on the database in question.

Otherwise, contact your host as suggested, this is something they would be able to do for you if you tell them the database username and database name from your config.php file and say the user needs all MySQL privileges on that database.
      I know what cPanel is, and I've used it in the past (no longer though).

I did copy the settings from the old config.php to the new one that came along with the 4.2.3 zip file, but I may have missed something. Anything in particular in the config.php that triggers this alter message?
      “Human beings are animals: very unusual animals, to be sure, but nevertheless animals. In origin, we are not fallen angels, but apes arisen.” — Michael H. Hart

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

This has nothing to do with any settings in the config file, your MySQL user does not have the required permissions, you can only fix that within MySQL.
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

If you don't use cPanel you will need to supply the proper MySQL commands to grant all privileges to the database user specified in the config.php file for the database name also specified in the config.php file.

As this is a prerequisite for the software it isn't generally something we can support directly, but I am sure there are many tutorials available by a quick Google search on how to give permissions to users in MySQL.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...