X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDL
    • Jul 2016
    • 4.2.x

Articles sections doesn't display properly

The articles section on my forum does not display the style or the layout defined in the admin. Also, it doesn't display the categories. It will post articles, but not the way it should. Any ideas how to fix it?

Would running the install again fix it or would that cause other issues?
  • karlm
    • Jun 2006
    • 5.3.x

I'm not staff so take my advice with a sprinkle of caution.

Having said that, go to your AdminCP and find Styles down the left-hand menu. Select the vB5 default and click it to open your main forum page in the default style.

Go to articles, ensuring you're still viewing it from default style.

Make sure you're viewing in the default language too.

Is the problem still there?
    VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
    No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• JDL
      • Jul 2016
      • 4.2.x

I'm running vB4 so I don't have a default vB5 template. However, the template that is showing for the articles is the default. It will not see the style I'm using and nothing seems to be outdated or incompatible.

I created a few categories and made test articles. The categories don't show on the left column.

That's why I was curious about running the install script again, if that would fix the problem or cause more problems.

Comment

• twistsol
        • Mar 2015
        • 6.X

Regarding styles, go to the Articles main page and click on the pencil icon next to the articles section title.

In the options window, select "Inherit" for the style option and your articles section will use whatever style you have currently selected. You also have the option of specifying a style for articles to use no matter what. The default option is to use the default VB4 style rather than inherit which never made sense to me.

For the categories, did you create categories or sections? If sections, then in the same window as above, select "Include Sub-Sections" for the "Content From" option and it should show the main section and all subsections as well.

If you are using categories I can't help much because we upgraded from VB4 a few months ago and I'm giving this advice based on my rapidly failing memory. I think the category widget only shows up in sub-sections and only shows categories assigned to articles in that subsection.
        Last edited by twistsol; Thu 4 Aug '16, 3:33pm. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

• JDL
          • Jul 2016
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by twistsol
          Regarding styles, go to the Articles main page and click on the pencil icon next to the articles section title.

In the options window, select "Inherit" for the style option and your articles section will use whatever style you have currently selected. You also have the option of specifying a style for articles to use no matter what. The default option is to use the default VB4 style rather than inherit which never made sense to me.

For the categories, did you create categories or sections? If sections, then in the same window as above, select "Include Sub-Sections" for the "Content From" option and it should show the main section and all subsections as well.

If you are using categories I can't help much because we upgraded from VB4 a few months ago and I'm giving this advice based on my rapidly failing memory. I think the category widget only shows up in sub-sections and only shows categories assigned to articles in that subsection.
          Thank you. That did the trick! I've been looking for the problem in the templates and in the admin. Never thought to look there.

However, I now I get a PHP error when click the apply button... PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in ..../packages/vbcms/content/section.php on line 739

Odd, it seems to work ok though.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...