Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

4.2.5 Alpha 3 released today.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• WriteToEnlight
      • Dec 2009

Any full lists of changes in vBulletin 4.2.5 Alpha 3 in comparison to vBulletin 4.2.5 Alpha 2 posted that is currently available to have the opportunity to be viewed at the moment?
      Last edited by WriteToEnlight; Fri 23 Sep '16, 6:18am.

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

You can always check Jira.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...+ASC&mode=hide

Comment

• Guardian Hope
          • Mar 2015
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Paul M
          I would guess from the error that its simply because in php7, class constructors must be called "__construct" and not the actual class name.

All the vB classes were updated in 4.2.5 to comply with this requirement.

Line 14 is probably calling vB_HumanVerify_Abstract(<something>), rather than __construct(<something>).
          What's the interesting part (I know vB doesn't provide modification support) is that for us at least, we're running vBulletin 4.2.5 on PHP 5.6 still (our site isn't ready to transition to PHP 7 yet). It's quite odd for something that worked in PHP 5.5 to not work in PHP 5.6 (I can't think of a script which has ever had that problem).

Out of curiosity, why doesn't vBulletin integrate reCAPTCHA 2?

I am pretty certain this is standard now on at least XenForo. Honestly, I'm starting to lean more and more towards moving us to XenForo because it provides a more seamless experience. I don't expect that out of vBulletin 4 - I would out of vBulletin 5 but it doesn't however, what I would expect is that vBulletin 4 which is clearly still being supported (likely because a lot of boards are still sticking to 4 versus 5) to support modern functionality like reCAPTCHA 2 found on other forum software from free to paid as standard features.

I don't know if you all are taking feature requests for vBulletin 4 still?

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

No new features will be added to vBulletin 4. New features go into vBulletin 5.

The new ReCaptcha has just been added to vB5.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

There is a mod that bring Repatcha 2 to VB 4.x - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=315960

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                BirdOPrey5 commented
                Editing a comment
                *But does not work with VB 4.2.5
            • Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Guardian Hope
              What's the interesting part (I know vB doesn't provide modification support) is that for us at least, we're running vBulletin 4.2.5 on PHP 5.6 still (our site isn't ready to transition to PHP 7 yet). It's quite odd for something that worked in PHP 5.5 to not work in PHP 5.6 (I can't think of a script which has ever had that problem).
              I think you are getting confused somewhere. The mod is not compatible with vB 4.2.5 (because of the changes made for php 7).
              It doesnt matter if you are actually running 425 on php7 or 5.6 or 5.5, the changes have been made, so the mod wont run without itself being updated.

Originally posted by Guardian Hope
              I don't know if you all are taking feature requests for vBulletin 4 still?
              You can always request in Jira, items that require very little dev work are still possible.

Comment

• Bere
                • May 2016
                • 4.2.x

I upgraded to vBulletin 4.2.5 Alpha 3 and my external php script failed to get the vbulletin object.

PHP Code:
                    define('VB_AREA''External');

define('CWD',     $vb->path);

$dir getcwd();

chdir(CWD);

require_once(
                CWD "/includes/init.php"); 

error.log message:

[Wed Oct 05 11:07:28 2016] [error] [client IP] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function clean_array_gpc() on a non-object in /var/www/vbulletin/includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 127, referer: http://www.internet.de/

PHP Version is 5.5.30 (Debian). Vbulletin 4.2.1 was running without any problems.

best regards

Guido
                Last edited by Bere; Wed 5 Oct '16, 1:55am.

Comment

• Bere
                  • May 2016
                  • 4.2.x

I ran into a second problem. After upgrading the forum i can't view any thread, there was an error with datastore cache (vb_datastore table) in the smiliecache line:

a:300:{i:372;a:8:{s:8:"smilieid";s:3:"372";s:5:"title";s:11:"Deutschland";s:10:"smilietext ";s:19:":torfürdeutschland:"

All smilietext fields were wrong (colon and quotes were twisted). I fixed this within tools.php and "Bitfiled Cache" update.

The upgrade seemed to finish without any problems. Maybe the upgrade routine still needs some polishing.

best regards

Guido
                  Last edited by Bere; Wed 5 Oct '16, 9:06am.

Comment

• Paul M
                    Former Lead Developer
                    vB.Com & vB.Org
                    • Sep 2004

The upgrade process does not touch 'smiliecache', or indeed, that table.

Comment

• Bere
                      • May 2016
                      • 4.2.x

I disabled the memcache datastore before the update, maybe it's an old error.

Do you have an idea regarding the external vbulletin object?

Comment

• th3gr3aton3
                        • Oct 2009

Any idea on when this release will be considered beta. I want to make sure it is safe for production.

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

The next release will be Beta 1, should be in the next 2/3 weeks.

Comment

• Domenico
                            • Mar 2024

Waiting for the beta so I can finally start using PHP 7 with vB4.

Webhostingtalk.nl :: For all your Dutch and European hosting quotes

The best and only hosting forum you need in Europe
                            You can ask your quotes and questions in English!

Comment

• sub_ubi
                              • Dec 2004

Fresh install of 4.2.5 alpha 3 on my new nginx/php7 server seems to work fine.

Moving my current forum over doesn't:

Code:
                              #1 : vbstop() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 5854
                              #2 : us_get_string() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 5724
                              #3 : us_get_value() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 5771
                              #4 : us_get_array() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 5720
                              #5 : us_get_value() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 5695
                              #6 : vb_unserialize() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 1582
                              #7 : vB_Datastore->register() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 1725
                              #8 : vB_Datastore->do_db_fetch() called in ..../includes/class_core.php on line 1694
                              #9 : vB_Datastore->fetch() called in ..../includes/init.php on line 238
                              #10 : require_once(..../includes/init.php) called in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 101
                              #11 : vB_Bootstrap->init() called in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 72
                              #12 : vB_Bootstrap->bootstrap() called in ..../global.php on line 26
                              #13 : require_once(..../global.php) called in ..../forum.php on line 67

Expected " at position 17823 found .
                              Disabled hooks, same issue. Any ideas?
                              Last edited by sub_ubi; Sat 29 Oct '16, 9:57pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...