Facebook API Change to v2.6

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedino
    • Dec 2007

This is nice business plan first I had to buy vbulletin 3 I was assuming to have all future updates free... but that there is vbulletin 4... ok I went for it as it offers facebook connect.
    But now I am ****ed up... You force people to buy v5 and I assume it use php5 also which I dont have.
    I am wondering how much effort it takes you to update that little piece of FB code... I assume very similar code is also in v5 so you should not waste any time and you should make sure all users are happy so far.
    That is really bad business model you have here. After 10 years I am fed up only...
    http://www.webmaster-money.org

Comment

• thedino
      • Dec 2007

Its even more funny that me as human I was not able to register and was getting those errors die to that plugin... but even that I got hundreds of new users and thousands SPAM posts in last month. So normal humans can not work with the forum but bots can. That is shame.

Comment

• thedino
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by qpo
        Facebook has completely rewrited own API since old REST API. For example there is no restserver.php endpoint, many fields in new GRAPH API has been deprecated or deleted (e.g. current_location, affiliations, pic_square and so on). API URL has been changed to new https://graph.facebook.com/v2.7/, and there is no FQL and main HTTP method has been changed from POST to GET

Because I'm still using VB4 in a technical forum and we have many facebook connected profiles - I've decided make a "quick-and-dirty" small patch of existing VB4 API. My code is based on VB 4.2.2pl4 version, but I suspect that it will work in all 4.2.3+ versions. While patching only the following problems have been solved:

- Facebook login of existing linked users
        - Link a Facebook profile to users without FB link. (Note that FB profile photo will not be displayed when you connect - I think that isn't a big deal, am I right?)
        - Unlink FB profile from VB user profile

Nothing more! Other functionality I didn't rewrite and test!

You have to change two attached files (of course make a backup copy of these files):
        • /includes/class_facebook.php
        • /includes/facebook/base_facebook.php
        Thank you, it looks like it works for existing users but new user registration does not work... I have already 4.2.2 patch6 so I wonder if your Patch 4 works for new user registration. The message during registration is:
        Code:
        Sorry, that facebook user does not match what we have on record, please try again.

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by thedino
          first I had to buy vbulletin 3 I was assuming to have all future updates free...
          Had to ? vBulletin 3 never had all future updates free, at any point, ever. You had to renew them, which is no longer possible now.

You force people to buy v5
          No one is forcing you to do anything.

assume it use php5 also which I dont have.
          Seriously ? You dont have php 5 ?
          I dont believe you, unless you are clueless and running a server from the dark ages. JFYI, vB4 requires php 5 as well.

I am wondering how much effort it takes you to update that little piece of FB code... I assume very similar code is also in v5 so you should not waste any time and you should make sure all users are happy so far.
          That is really bad business model you have here. After 10 years I am fed up only...
          You assume wrongly. We are not going to waste any time, and you can never make all users happy..
          A realy bad business model ? Its been running for 16 years, so it cannot be that bad.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• adeel786
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mark.B
            As Paul and I both said - there will not be any further updates to the Facebook code in vBulletin 4. Sorry.

If it really is that important, it may be worth offering a paid service request on www.vbulletin.org and paying a third party coder to make the changes.
            Unbelievable!

so what my 13k+ users are suppose to do now?

They all used fbconnect to log in

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Assuming that stops working (unconfirmed at this point) then they will have to login just like everyone else, with a username and password.

Comment

• man1c
                • Apr 2005
                • 3.8.x

If it's going to cause you that much hardship, you could always move to a 3rd party login script - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=319849

Comment

• ivanp
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 4.2.x

Facebook integration stopped working, see the latest comment: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-16292

Comment

• Paul M
                    Former Lead Developer
                    vB.Com & vB.Org
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ivanp
                    Facebook integration stopped working, see the latest comment: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-16292
                    That was last updated 18 months ago, and the dev hasnt logged into vb.org for 6 months.
                    There is a good chance it will fail in the same way, if not now, then at some point in the nearish future.
                    Facebook just constantly change their code, so using them for anything is a constant game of catch-up, you should think very carefully about relying on them for anything.

Comment

• Paul M
                      Former Lead Developer
                      vB.Com & vB.Org
                      • Sep 2004

There is a potential fix provided by Andreas here ;

You are probably going to need a programmer to help apply this, unless you understand diff files.

Comment

• lokirj
                        • Apr 2004

Upload this file to your VB4
                        /includes/facebook
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

Are you confirming it works ?

Comment

• Ordovicium
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 4.2.x

lokirj Your fixe work for several time. Now there is an additional update from facebook. Can you provide a new php file? I would appreciate very much. Thank you in advance.
                            Sorry for my English
                            Let'z talk German

Comment

• lokirj
                              • Apr 2004

Ordovicium
                              strange because my forum still working with the same fix https://forums.tibiabr.com/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lokirj
                                Ordovicium
                                strange because my forum still working with the same fix https://forums.tibiabr.com/
                                The previous post was from three years ago.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...