Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodmj
    • Mar 2013

Facebook Auto Register Not Working

I can't seem to get this to work with VB4.2.3. Facebook Connect seems to work ok but Auto Register doesn't do anything and you're still presented with the standard forum signup form on registration.

Is this a known problem or could I do be doing something wrong? I got my FB App ID and Secret configured in the ACP along with enabling Auto Register.
  • alexgfx
    • May 2016
    • 5.2.x

It's a known problem, you are not doing anything wrong. It's just a bug reported about 2 years ago but vBulletin staff are not willing to fix it. Nobody knows if or when this will be fixed. They still advertise their product with this "2 click Facebook register" option but it doesn't work. Invision Power Board however have this option and with their software is really working.

Comment

• woodmj
      • Mar 2013

Ok, thanks for the info.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

This is supposed to work, although Facebook often make changes to their systems whcih can break things. If you think something isn't working, please log it in the tracker as a vB4 bug so it can be looked at.

There are full, tested instructions for setting up Facebook HERE. Please follow these carefully and precisely (even small deviations can break it) and see if it works.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• alexgfx
          • May 2016
          • 5.2.x

Yes, it's supposed to work. I know that Facebook often make changes that break things, but I am frustrated when I see that IPB doesn't break on this. Yes, the Facebook setup is working but the automatic registration is broken for vbulletin 4 and 5.

The problem it's that even on Admin section there's a Facebook settings that says "Enabling this option will allow user to skip the registration form, and register through a simplified two-click process."

Expectation: When I read this I expect that my user will click on the "Sign up using Facebook" button, then he will click the button to confirm the application acces to his Facebook data and he will be automatically registered "skipping the registration form". This is the way other sites and forums (like IPB) works.

Reality: The user click on the "Sign up using Facebook", then he click on the button confirming the application access to his Facebook data and then he is redirected to the registration form. He will have to fill the registration form and he will be eventually registered. There's no difference between the usual registration and using Facebook to register. It's the same process.

Why is this so important? Because every additional step in getting a user registered is a chance to lose this user.

There is already a jira report for this bug http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9490 Created: 03/May/13 04:28 AM Updated: 21/Nov/15 05:19 PM. Since 2013 you failed to see it and to fix it. You had time 3 years to look at it. Should I log it every day so that you can see it and fix it? Do you need another 3 years to fix it? Or 10 years is better?

I paid for a feature that you advertise, but it's not working. Who knows, maybe in vBulletin 15 this will be fixed.

You can also read other complains on that matter: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...l-registration
          Last edited by alexgfx; Sat 14 May '16, 5:52pm.

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

It wont be fixed in vbulletin 15, Facebook will have ceased to exist before then.

It almost certainly wont be fixed in vbulletin 4 either (assuming its broken).

As for vbulletin 5, sarcasm wont make any difference, its logged, and has to fight for priority with every other issue.
            Given its a pretty low use feature, and easily worked around (by using normal registration) its not very high on the list.
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• alexgfx
              • May 2016
              • 5.2.x

It's good to know that I paid 250$ for something broken that it won't be fixed. You win.
              Last edited by alexgfx; Sun 15 May '16, 7:49am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

vB4 isn't the current product line and only receives security updates now.
                If it is to be fixed, it will be in vB5 which is the current product line.

Speaking personally, I think the whole idea of registering via Facebook needs to be reviewed regarding its usefulness. It's not used very much in forums yet causes endless problems as Facebook constantly change the way they handle it.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• woodmj
                  • Mar 2013

VB5 isn't an option for me as I use quite a lot of mods and they're just not available for VB5. Also going to VB5 would require me to redesign my site from the floor up as there's no way to convert VB4 skins to VB5 and I don't have the time to do that.

If FB registration doesn't and won't work in VB4 I'll just can the idea. I just thought it would have been a way to grab some more membership.

Comment