Browser pop-up when replying asking if you want to stay on page?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scream And Fly
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] Browser pop-up when replying asking if you want to stay on page?

My site is at www.screamandfly.com., using VBulletin 4.2.3

Many times, when a member submits a Quick Reply, a pop-up will come up asking if you want to stay on the page or leave the page. I have seen this myself on Chrome and Internet Explorer (current versions), however it does not happen all the time. It seems to occur most regularly on Internet Explorer.

For example, when I tried to do a Quick Reply on Internet Explorer, I also received a popup asking if I wanted to leave the page. If I choose “Leave the page”, the post will go through. If I choose “Stay on page”, the post will not go through. I attached a screenshot of the popup. Is there a way to correct this? I added a screenshot of the popup.

I would really appreciate any help, since I now have many members complaining about this.

PHP Version 5.4.45
    MySQL Version 5.1.73-cll

I have a login I created if anybody wants to log in to try:

Login: Skyscape
    Password: testaccount

Thank you so much,
    Greg
    Last edited by Scream And Fly; Thu 31 Mar '16, 7:19am.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

I tried in IE11 and Chrome but I was not able to replicate the issue in both browsers.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Scream And Fly
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.6.x

Hi Glenn, thank you for trying. Did you use Quick Reply? I just tried using Quick Reply to a post on IE and it did it again.
      Thanks again for checking for me. I attached a screenshot of it happening just now.
      Greg

Comment

• Scream And Fly
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.6.x

I think this only happens using Quick Reply. It seems to happen much more on IE (almost every time on my end).

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

Yes I did Quick Reply using IE11. What version of IE are you using? And what OS?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Scream And Fly
            • Jan 2004
            • 3.6.x

Hi Glenn, I just tried again on two computers - both using IE 11, Windows 7 64-Bit. Both times I used quick reply on the Skyscape account and on my admin account, and it gave the same pop-up dialog. I will try on my Win8 machine as well.

Comment

• Scream And Fly
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.6.x

I think I may have found out something...
              If I go to this post and do a Quick Reply from page ONE, it works.
              http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ird-site-issue

If I go to the LAST page and use Quick Reply, I get the pop-up window.
              Lately whenever I post I get a box pop up asking me if I want to "leave this page" when hit the post button. I click yes and my post is added. Really more of an inconvenience bt might confuse someone. Im using the latest version of Chrome and running windows 8.

This happens on my Win 8, IE 11 machine as well.

Comment

• Scream And Fly
                • Jan 2004
                • 3.6.x

Just an update - I posted a few times trying this out - every time the same result using IE 11.

A Quick Reply from the first page (by scrolling down to the bottom for a Quick Reply) works as it should.
                If I go to the last page, scroll down and use Quick Reply, I get the pop-up dialog window.

Comment

• man1c
                  • Apr 2005
                  • 3.8.x

My IE users used to get this, I'm pretty sure the following fix was the one I used http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...#action_130974

Comment

• Scream And Fly
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by man1c
                    My IE users used to get this, I'm pretty sure the following fix was the one I used http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...#action_130974

Thank you for posting. I did see this in a search but it was several years old so I was not sure if that information was current.
                    I've tried it on four machines now and on every one I can replicate the issue. I will also say that I never use IE so my settings for IE are at the defaults, with no addons or changes. I'm receiving so many emails about this that I have to do something.

Comment

• Scream And Fly
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 3.6.x

I was experimenting more and I found the following:

It seems the post will ultimately submit no matter which option you choose on that pop-up dialog. But I can bring that pop-up dialog up 100% of the time on Internet Explorer as long as I navigate to the last page of the post before using Quick Reply. If I use Quick Reply from the first page of a multi-page post (by simply scrolling down to the Quick Reply box), the post will submit with no pop-up dialog.

I made a screen-video of this happening - using Windows 8.1, Internet Explorer 11.
                      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...nQwRjVDWXRQZU0

I was hoping that a VBulletin developer could help. I would be extremely grateful if you could.

Comment

• Scream And Fly
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Is there any other way to reach VBulletin support? I would really like some help with this. I'm paying my database admin to try to fix this.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

This isn't an issue in the default sofware - if it was, we'd have thousands of customers reporting it - so without access to your server it is very difficult to suggest anything.

It is extremely unlikely to be anything to do with the database.

Please try the following:

1. To disable the plugin/hook system completely, edit includes/config.php and add the following code:
                          Just below
                          Code:
                          <?php
                          enter
                          Code:
                          define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
                          2. Now go to AdminCP > Style Manager
                          and create a new style with no parent.
                          Now browse your forum using this new style.

Do you still have the same problem?
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Scream And Fly
                            I was hoping that a VBulletin developer could help. I would be extremely grateful if you could.
                            vBulletin 4 isnt being developed anymore, so you are not going to get development help I'm afraid.

That popup usually means there was a Javascript error on the page - you could try turning on IEs dev tools and monitor the page for JS errors.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Scream And Fly
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 3.6.x

I appreciate your input. I am strongly considering an upgrade to VB5, however I am just worried how hard it might be, especially with the CMS content and banner system we have (which is crucial). I definitely realize that VB4 is outdated and if we could move the site to VB5 fairly easily I would do it. It's something I will look more closely at doing.

We did finally locate the problem - it was the VBulletin integration of Sphinx search that was causing it. We turned off Sphinx for now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...