Any idea how to stop bots from signing up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

[Forum] Any idea how to stop bots from signing up?

Is there any option in vbulletin 4 that can stop bots from signing up to your forum?

I realize there going to be there either way but I'd like to stop them from signing up at least. We had a few spam the blog before I disabled it.

Let me know. Thanks Vbulletin.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Bryanb
    • Sep 2003
    • 4.2.X

I've been using "Stop the Registration Bots" from .org for some time now. https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244746 It seems to work. I also add a few fields that are mandatory when signing up. e.g. "About You" "Your location" "Favorite Beverage". All new registrations are moderated, and when I see nonsense answers I delete the account. The person receives an email stating that the account was probably deleted because it was a possible bot. Rarely do they respond saying I got it wrong, because I usually get it right.
    ~ Master of my own Domain ~

Comment

• Brad Padgett
      • Jul 2014
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Bryanb
      I've been using "Stop the Registration Bots" from .org for some time now. https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244746 It seems to work. I also add a few fields that are mandatory when signing up. e.g. "About You" "Your location" "Favorite Beverage". All new registrations are moderated, and when I see nonsense answers I delete the account. The person receives an email stating that the account was probably deleted because it was a possible bot. Rarely do they respond saying I got it wrong, because I usually get it right.
      Hey thanks for the information. I'll take this into consideration. I don't think it will become a huge problem but we've had a handful of real sign ups and also bot sign ups at the same time.
      "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Rhody401
        • Aug 2007
        • 4.2.x

When it gets to hundreds per day (bots), youll want to add one of the free tools that checks against blacklists and prevents them from registering.

I have Q&A require specific answers, at the registration screen. Im also using vb bad behavior, glowhost spam-o-matic, and spambot stopper.

We havent seen a spammer in years

Rhody

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...