Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scream And Fly
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.6.x

I'm sorry to bump an older post, but I'm having the same issue with VBulletin 4.2.5 and I am unable to resolve it. This just began happening and I have no idea why. I'd really appreciate any insight into this that could help.
    Thank you.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Scream And Fly
      I'm sorry to bump an older post, but I'm having the same issue with VBulletin 4.2.5 and I am unable to resolve it. This just began happening and I have no idea why. I'd really appreciate any insight into this that could help.
      Thank you.
      If it used to work, but now doesn't, then something has changed on the server.

First thing to look at is php version. What is the exact current version, and has it been changed recently?
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Scream And Fly
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B

If it used to work, but now doesn't, then something has changed on the server.

First thing to look at is php version. What is the exact current version, and has it been changed recently?
        Thank you Mark. I’ve not changed anything but I will check with my hosting company on the server end. I really appreciate your reply.

Edit: Issue resolved. It was a matter of adding whitelisting rules to ModSecure. That corrected the issue. Thanks again.
        Last edited by Scream And Fly; Wed 8 Aug '18, 10:38pm.

Comment

• mojiba
          • Nov 2009
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Scream And Fly

Thank you Mark. I’ve not changed anything but I will check with my hosting company on the server end. I really appreciate your reply.

Edit: Issue resolved. It was a matter of adding whitelisting rules to ModSecure. That corrected the issue. Thanks again.
          Hi Scream And Fly,

I'm with the same problem, could you share what rules do you added to Modsecure?

Thanks.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by mojiba

Hi Scream And Fly,

I'm with the same problem, could you share what rules do you added to Modsecure?

Thanks.
            Rather than use what someone else did, you need to check your own logs and find out which rule is causing it.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• bosss
              • Jan 2008

Still have same problem ...but not with all posts (only posts copied from another sources - like web pages and more) - and problem persist in both PHP 5.6 and now in PHP 7.1. 23

regards

bosss
              Welcome to Libar

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bosss
                Still have same problem ...but not with all posts (only posts copied from another sources - like web pages and more) - and problem persist in both PHP 5.6 and now in PHP 7.1. 23

regards

bosss
                That's usually because a character being copied (like a fancy looking quote or apostrophe) isn't part of the character set being used in the database and causes an error. Can you check your database tables, are you using utf8 or latin1 coalitions?

Comment

• bosss
                  • Jan 2008

Thanks for reply

Just checked - server use Serverns teckenuppsättning: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) but in my admin cp on vbulletin 4 - language settings is english - ISO-8859-1

regards

bosss

edit: coalitions - MyISAM latin1_swedish_ci
                  Welcome to Libar

Comment

• mojiba
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.6.x

I don't believe that in my case is the character enconding issue, but something to do with rich text and the advanced editor.

If I edit a message pasting a plain text (even with latin characters) and save it, there's no problem, but if I try to do it with rich text content (with URLs for example), then nothing happens.

Thanks.
                    Last edited by mojiba; Sat 17 Nov '18, 1:15pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

I don't believe that in my case is the character enconding issue, but something to do with rich text and the advanced editor.

If I edit a message pasting a plain text (even with latin characters) and save it, there's no problem, but if I try to do it with rich text content (with URLs for example), then nothing happens.

Thanks.
                      This is to do with trying to paste content from websites or other irch media into the editor. It isn't really designed to do that, and when you do it it will do its best to translate it into something that can be displayed. The results can be unpredictable however, and can also trigger server security software.

If this causes issues, use the plain text editor for such things, then it will paste only the basic text.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• mojiba
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 3.6.x

This is to do with trying to paste content from websites or other irch media into the editor. It isn't really designed to do that, and when you do it it will do its best to translate it into something that can be displayed. The results can be unpredictable however, and can also trigger server security software.

If this causes issues, use the plain text editor for such things, then it will paste only the basic text.
                        Hi Mike, you're right, I just catch a trigger in Cloudflare from my IP address while trying to edit a post with rich text.

These are the rules that I broke on the Cloudflare firewall:

OWASP_CRS/PROTOCOL_VIOLATION/EVASION-REQUEST_BODY
                        OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/COMMAND_INJECTION-ARGS:MESSAGE
                        OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000412_251
                        OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-ARGS:MESSAGE
                        OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000408_182
                        OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000412_265

The edit post problem disappears if I disable the Web Application Firewall in Cloudflare, but I'm no comfortable in doing so. Is there anything I can do besides disabling these rules?

Thanks.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Hi Mike, you're right, I just catch a trigger in Cloudflare from my IP address while trying to edit a post with rich text.

These are the rules that I broke on the Cloudflare firewall:

OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/COMMAND_INJECTION-ARGS:MESSAGE
                          OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000412_251
                          OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-ARGS:MESSAGE
                          OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000408_182

The edit post problem disappears if I disable the Web Application Firewall in Cloudflare, but I'm no comfortable in doing so. Is there anything I can do besides disabling these rules?

Thanks.
                          Your only option would be to disable the rules causing problems, if that's even possible.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• mojiba
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 3.6.x

Your only option would be to disable the rules causing problems, if that's even possible.
                            It is, I narrowed down to 2 rules that were causing the problem:

- OWASP_CRS/PROTOCOL_VIOLATION/EVASION-REQUEST_BODY
                            - OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000412_251

I just did not understand why this started happening now after I updated vBulletin to version 4.2.5. Previously these same rules existed in Cloudflare and there was no such problem.

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

It is, I narrowed down to 2 rules that were causing the problem:

- OWASP_CRS/PROTOCOL_VIOLATION/EVASION-REQUEST_BODY
                              - OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/XSS-2000000412_251

I just did not understand why this started happening now after I updated vBulletin to version 4.2.5. Previously these same rules existed in Cloudflare and there was no such problem.
                              No changes were made to the editor in 4.2.5. It is in any event a standard editor made by a third party (CKEditor).
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment

• postcd
                                • Feb 2012

This issue may be related to usage of a newer PHP version than one supported by the script. In my case switching to older PHP version worked.
                                A workaround is to edit open /vb/ckeditor.php replacing
                                PHP Code:
                                htmlspecialchars($value
                                by
                                PHP Code:
                                htmlspecialchars($valueENT_COMPAT ENT_HTML401"ISO-8859-1"
                                around the lin 507, source: https://forum.unity.com/threads/vbul...g-n-or.204088/
                                Last edited by postcd; Wed 10 Jan '24, 9:29am.
                                vBulletin hosting from $0.5 monthly

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...