How many IPs can you put in the ban IP box?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevlar
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

How many IPs can you put in the ban IP box?

I wrote some pretty interesting SQL the other day that returned the most offensive IP addresses and IP address subnets and I was wondering how many IP addresses can I stick in that ban IP addresses box in the admin control panel before it stops working?
    Kevlar
    Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

It doesn't look like there's a limit other than the max size of an option value, which is a mysql mediumtext, around 16Mb (the entire size of all the options, in serialized array format, also has to fit in a mediumtext, so it would be somewhat less). But I'm guessing some performance issue would cause problems long before you ran out of space. It seems to check addresses by making each one into a preg pattern and calling preg_match() twice. I'm not sure how well that scales. I don't think it's intended to be used with a large number of addresses.
    Last edited by kh99; Sun 26 Jul '15, 11:31am.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Don't ban ips in there, ban them via htaccess/firewall instead, or really, don't ban ip's at all.

Comment

• Kevlar
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        Don't ban ips in there, ban them via htaccess/firewall instead, or really, don't ban ip's at all.

Then how would you recommend handling an issue where I have banned over 1000 users from the IP range 27.159.196.* ? When I counted the banned users from a specific IP range, it would only make sense to ban that IP range ... no?
        Kevlar
        Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Kevlar

Then how would you recommend handling an issue where I have banned over 1000 users from the IP range 27.159.196.* ? When I counted the banned users from a specific IP range, it would only make sense to ban that IP range ... no?
          Do it at server level if you need to...not in vBulletin.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...