X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QFIT
    • Dec 2011
    • 4.2.x

BBCode problem

I have a BBCode for embedding YouTube videos on a site with SSL. IE has a problem with embedding YT videos that requires that you specify &version=3 on an SSL site. So:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/{param}&version=3"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/{param}&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

VB's BBCode Manager changes the & to &amp;. So, the BBCode fails.
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

Are you sure that's why it's not working? I think an & in the html source should look like &amp; . I tried your replacement and it seems to work, but I only have an old version of IE so it could happen in other versions.

Comment

• QFIT
      • Dec 2011
      • 4.2.x

Yes. You must use &version= for the parameter to work. If it says &amp;version=, the parameter will simply be ignored. That's OK if you are not on a site using SSL. But, IE11 will not run a shockwave object from another site from an SSL site unless you specify version 3.

Comment

• QFIT
        • Dec 2011
        • 4.2.x

Partial solution. I changed the ampersand to a ? and it works. But, this solution won't work if more than one parameter must be passed.

Comment

• QFIT
          • Dec 2011
          • 4.2.x

I take it back. ? is not working either. There must be a way to use an ampersand in BBCodes.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

For your own custom BBCode, you should use Youtube's iFrame method so it returns the appropriate code to the appropriate browser.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• QFIT
              • Dec 2011
              • 4.2.x

Yep, I just did that and it does work. Fortunately, the defaults are all acceptable. There would still be a problem if I wanted to pass a parameter.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...