X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chef Bryardee
    • Apr 2015
    • 4.2.x

Homepage URL

Just purchase vBulletin and installing the package, following the installation guide. In the installation guide, after the installation was complete, it was recommended that I change the name of the upload folder to something different; I changed it to forum. And, ever since then, I've had issues with the homepage URL. When clicking the Forum Home Page button from the administration panel, I get the 404 error page.

Besides that, I actually don't know how to combine my site with the domain that I purchased (allbluerpg.com), My homepage is currently displaying http://www.allbluerpg.com/forums/forum.php. I'm trying to get it to just http://www.allbluerpg.com/

Suggestions?
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

You should upload the files that are in the upload folder to the place where you want your forum to be. So if you don't want /forum in your url, you shouldn't create a /forum or a /upload folder on your server. Instead, upload everything that's inside the upload folder without uploding the folder itself (if that makes sense).

If you haven't done anything other than install a new forum, it's probably easiest to start over. Save the config.php file if you want so that you don't have to make those changes again, but delete everything else and start over. When installing you'll get a message about how the database has stuff in it already, but you can just ignore that and continue.
    Last edited by kh99; Sun 19 Apr '15, 2:05am.

Comment

• Chef Bryardee
      • Apr 2015
      • 4.2.x

So, when I start over, basically unload everything from the upload folder and just put all that stuff straight into the public_html part. Makes sense. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Comment

• kh99
        • Aug 2009

Right, that's the easiest way. Well, it probably *is* possible to have the files be in a folder while still having the url be the way you want, if you have some reason for wanting it that way, but I don't know offhand know how to tell you to do that. But someone else would probably know. I was assuming you just uploaded it that way while following the guide, and that you didn't have a specific reason for wanting a sub folder.

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

Your forum seems to be working ok now, do you have the correct URL in Admincp -> Options -> SiteName/URL/Contact Details?

If you want to redirect /forum.php put this code in your .htaccess file.

[code]RewriteEngine on
          RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,9}\ /.*forum\.(html|php)?\ HTTP/
          RewriteRule ^(.*)forum\.(html|php)?$ http://www.allbluerpg.com/forums$1 [R=301,L]

Comment

• Chef Bryardee
            • Apr 2015
            • 4.2.x

What folder is the htaccess file in?

Comment

• Chef Bryardee
              • Apr 2015
              • 4.2.x

Nevermind I found the htaccess but when I pasted that code in, I got this error message. I changed the permissions for that file to 755, but I'm still getting the error.
              If you are the webmaster of this site please log in to Cpanel and check the Error Logs. You will find the exact reason for this error there.
              Common reasons for this error are:
              • Incorrect file/directory permissions: Above 755. In order files to be processed by the webserver, their permissions have to be equal or below 755. You can update file permissions with a FTP client or through cPanel's File Manager.
              • Incorrect Apache directives inside .htaccess file. Make sure you have not specified unsupported directives inside the local .htaccess file. Such include PHP settings and Apache module settings.

Comment

• mycomputershop
                • Mar 2015
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Chef Bryardee
                Just purchase vBulletin and installing the package, following the installation guide. In the installation guide, after the installation was complete, it was recommended that I change the name of the upload folder to something different; I changed it to forum. And, ever since then, I've had issues with the homepage URL. When clicking the Forum Home Page button from the administration panel, I get the 404 error page.

Besides that, I actually don't know how to combine my site with the domain that I purchased (allbluerpg.com), My homepage is currently displaying http://www.allbluerpg.com/forums/forum.php. I'm trying to get it to just http://www.allbluerpg.com/

Suggestions?
                my home page is www.mycomputer-shop.com
                موقع متخصص فى مجال الكمبيوتر واللاب توب والشبكات والطابعات فى مصر , موقع ومنتدى ومدونه متخصصين فى مجال الكمبيوتر واللاب توب والشبكات والطابعات

Comment

• donald1234
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Chef Bryardee
                  What folder is the htaccess file in?
                  The .htaccess file must be inside the /forums directory and NOT in the root.

If it is in the /forums directory and you are still getting that error you can try changing the first line to

Code:
                  RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,9}\ /.*forum\.(html|php)?\ HTTP/forums
                  as the code is really supposed to be used if your forum is in the root, that is www.yoursite.com
                  Last edited by donald1234; Sun 19 Apr '15, 4:54am.

Comment

• Chef Bryardee
                    • Apr 2015
                    • 4.2.x

While I still have you, good sir, I also ran into one more issue; when creating a thread, the edit bar (the buttons for changing font style, size, making lists, tables, quotes) is completely missing. Like just not there at all. Any ideas?

Comment