• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hilary
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] vbulletin_textedit.js error

Hi,

We have just started getting reports from users saying that they are having trouble making posts.

The issue only seems to be happening in Internet Explorer.

The page will load and in the bottom left corner (corner of the browser not the website) it will notify me that there is an error. The error reads:
    Code:
    Line: 11
    Char: 9103
    Code: 0
    URI: www.domain.com.au/forums/clientscript/vbulletin_textedit.js?v=419
    If you try to make a post, it returns a message saying there isn't enough characters in the message - but there is.

If you refresh the same page, the javascript error goes away and you can post fine.

It seems like it's something to do with something not loading properly, but not sure why it's only just started happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    BH-Tech
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Anything in your server's error logs for the time? Also which version of IE are these users using?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• hilary
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.1.x

I don't believe there will be anything in the server's error logs as it's only a javascript error - I have checked and there isn't anything.

I have been getting the error in Internet Explorer 8. Another user get's the error on a Nokia Lumia phone using the Internet Explorer app.

The error stops the 'Quick Edit' option from being available when replying to a thread, instead when you click 'Reply to Thread' it goes straight to the advanced editing page. The error happens on this page as well, unless you refresh, and then the error is gone.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

It's worth noting that IE8 is not supported any longer, it's too old. Though I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work. Make sure they haven't got compatibility mode set to IE6 or IE7.

IE apps on mobile phones have never been supported and it's quite probable it isn't going to work on that. User should try the phone's native browser.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• hilary
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.1.x

Hi Mark,

I myself am getting the error in IE8 (I don't use it, just have it on my machine), I don't have any compatibility settings changed, so can't see it being that.

Unfortunately the native browser on Windows Phones is either Internet Explorer or built on an Internet Explorer foundation - and there aren't any 'popular' alternatives.

I could understand if the issue was constant, then you could say it was a simple incompatibility issue. But all you have to do is refresh the page and the error is gone.

If I could make all my users stop using IE, that would be great, but it's still one of the most used browsers simply because it's default.

For that reason, I really need to find out what's going on.

I appreciate everyone's help so far - and if anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Cheers

Comment

• hilary
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.1.x

I have attached a screenshot of the error's that come up on a 'forumdisplay' page.

The issue is to do with IE returning 'null' when it should be returning something else - only happening in IE though!

Can anyone help with this? Any suggestions at all for a fix?

Thanks

Comment