Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed762
    • Jun 2014

[Forum] Scheduled Task: Queueprocessor cron job

Is there any documentation as to what this cron job actually do? The default VB setting is to run this every 10 minutes. What is the effect of increasing and decreasing the frequency? I find that this cron job is spiking up the server load, is there anything that can go wrong when this cron job is executed?
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

If you have 'Queue Search Updates' set to Yes in Settings > Options > Message Searching Options, then new posts are queued up instead of being inserted in the search index immediately, and the queueprocess.php cron job is what adds them to the index. So I suppose that's why it was set to run every 10 minutes. But I don't know if what you're seeing is a problem or what is expected. I guess if you're seeing recent posts in search results, then it is working.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Increasing the frequency of scheduled tasks can adversely affect your user experience. Scheduled Tasks can start to collide in processing times and not get finished efficiently if you don't have adequate traffic at the specific times they trigger.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ed762
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by kh99
        If you have 'Queue Search Updates' set to Yes in Settings > Options > Message Searching Options, then new posts are queued up instead of being inserted in the search index immediately, and the queueprocess.php cron job is what adds them to the index. So I suppose that's why it was set to run every 10 minutes. But I don't know if what you're seeing is a problem or what is expected. I guess if you're seeing recent posts in search results, then it is working.
        I currrently have "Queue Search Updates" set to "no". We are using Sphinx.

Does that mean I do not have to run "queueprocess.php cron job" and I can turn off "queueprocess" comp completely in scheduled task?

Thanks!

Comment

• Ed762
          • Jun 2014

Also, does the queueprocessor cron job do anything to any tables related to private messaging?

Comment

• kh99
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Ed762

I currrently have "Queue Search Updates" set to "no". We are using Sphinx.

Does that mean I do not have to run "queueprocess.php cron job" and I can turn off "queueprocess" comp completely in scheduled task?

Thanks!
            I believe that's true. I don't think it should be doing anything if you have Queue Search Updates set to no, as long as the indexqueue table is empty. But there's different search code for each type of thing to be searched, so I'm not 100% sure. And I don't know anything about Sphinx (I'm sure Wayne or someone else does).

Also, does the queueprocessor cron job do anything to any tables related to private messaging?
            Again I'm not 100% sure, but I would think not. There doesn't seem to be any search item that would be related to private messages.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Private Messaging is separate from posts in vBulletin 4.X.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...