X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxx.
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

Long PM Function loading times

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I looked through the first 5 pages of this sub and at the common issues thread and didn't see anything that would address my problem.

My mail system takes forever to load. Once in, messages load nice and quick. Other members and administrators are complaining of the same issue. I've also had pages within the mailbox take just as long, like switching from the inbox to the trash. Once I actually have it loaded, I can usually jump back and forth between the inbox and other parts of the site quickly, but if I leave the site for an extended period of time, it goes right back to the same problem until the inbox is successfully loaded again. Not sure if this is really a bug, might just be the way things are.

I was going to upgrade to vB5 Connect, as I bought it over a year ago (close to 2 now?) but it is still not ready for a fully operating site, so I would like an answer to this as I am still stuck with 4.x for the foreseeable future. I really like vB5, I just can't use it in it's current condition.

Thank you in Advance

my information is as follows:

Version: 4.2.1
    PHP Version: 5.3.28
    MySQL Version: 5.5.34-cll-lve
    All add-ons removed: we removed them because we were going to do the upgrade and then at the last minute were warned against it.
    Issue occurs in default style.
    No error message on the screen, just a long delay.
    Most browsers used.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

When you say mail system, you mean Private Messages? Or do you mean a third party mail system?

I would suggest in the following order:

Upgrade to php 5.5, make sure the php native opcache is enabled.
    Upgrade to vBulletin 4.2.3

Comment

• Foxx.
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.0.x

Thank you, Zachery.

Yes I mean Private Messages. I am assuming your answer was in regard to Private Messages.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

That would be correct, php 5.5 is moderately faster than php 5.3/5.4 esp with its native opcache. You need 4.2.3 to run on php 5.5 though.

Comment

• Foxx.
          • Oct 2010
          • 4.0.x

Would the size of my stored messages cache affect the performance/speed at all?

as an aside...
          when you first responded you were support, now your former support? perhaps i am merely mistaken.
          regardless, hope all is for the best.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Do you mean post_parsed/postparsed? Not significantly.

Per my lack of being a staff member: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...saying-goodbye

Comment

• Foxx.
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              Do you mean post_parsed/postparsed? Not significantly.

Per my lack of being a staff member: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...saying-goodbye
              so long ya hoser. lol, best wishes in your new life bub. thanks again for the help.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Private messages are stored outside the posting system in vBulletin 4. However having a large number of private messages stored could negatively impact performance. Are you running a query log on MySQL? If so, are any slow queries listed?
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Foxx.
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.0.x

4.2.3 is in beta. can't run that on a live site....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

The changes are PHP compatibility changes. If you're not using PHP 5.5, then you do not need it. However since you're still using PHP 5.3, I would recommend upgrading to PHP 5.4. and vBulletin 4.2.2. You will want to upgrade vBulletin first in this case. PHP 5.4.0 will provide performance benefits.

Using 4.2.3 and PHP 5.5 would give the best improvement in speed though.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment