• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueBelle
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

decreasing size of database

Hi,

I am not technical enough to be running a vbulletin page, I know that. I am trying to move hosts right now and our database is 650 MB. I need to get it down to 250 MB.

I have googled what to do and I see one easy fix is move attachments from the database to file system. Great! I tried to do that, created a folder on my file structure called attachments, using my cpanel. I changed the permissions on the folder, they are all open. Then I tried to run the move function in my admin panel on my vb webpage and I get that the files can't get moved. Perhaps I am putting the path wrong? Would it be /attachments? Do I put my whole webpage like /webpage.ca/attachments?

Then adminlog sql table is very large, what's in there? Can I make that smaller? The searchcore_text is also 255 MB on it's own. Why is that so big? How can I shrink that?

Yesterday I deleted about 90 pages of threads and lots and lots of attachments. We went from nearly 100 pages down to 11 hoping to make a difference.

I'm really lost and frustrated and don't know where to start. I need someone to talk to me like I'm five and help me out if possible.

We are trying to move off of our current host who went from charging us $108 for 2 years to $250. We are just a small discussion board and can't afford that kind of increase. I am trying to move to another host who is charging $122/3 years and who does all software upgrades and updates, so I really want to make this work. I have to do whatever I can do by Friday.

Thanks so much!
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

First thing I would say is never buy a 3 year hosting deal unless he is maybe your uncle or something. Do hosts offer these long term deals then give you a hard time in the hope you will move on? Monthly payments, I find keep them on their toes.

Anyway your database is not that big, I take it your on shared hosting with no root access and trying to move it via a browser, eg phpmyadmin?

Comment

• BlueBelle
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.0.x

I'm with ipage, and they have been awful. No customer support, any ticket seems to take about a day to see any activity. Like I say, I hate it.

I'm trying to move to TMDhosting. They are $2.89 with full support. They get back to me within 15 mins with any issues or tickets. But, they won't help me with decreasing the size of the database so that they can host my site.

Does that make sense? Any suggestions on who I should try? Like I say, I'm looking for somewhere that will offer me lots of support and hand holding.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Why do you need to reduce your size below 250mb? Even GoDaddy allows 1GB databases, by default.

You should never buy webhosting for a longer period than 3 months, even that is pushing it.

Really though, there isn't a good reason for you to be trying to shrink your database, and since you're not aware of how all of the tables and its data work together, tis fairly dangerous to keep trying to shrink it.

Comment

• BlueBelle
          • Oct 2010
          • 4.0.x

OK... the host company I was trying to move to says I have to have a database smaller than 250 MB.

If that's the case, can someone recommend me a host company that will not cost me a fortune, like I say, I only want to spend about $50/60 a year on it, that will support Vbulletin? And if they will offer some support that would be awesome.

Comment

• starme
            • Aug 2011
            • 4.1.x

I was in iPage, they really sucks. Support and server suck. And I had to move to better provider. My new provider does free vbulletin support and upgrade and backups.
            My database is 1.4GB and never had any issues with them. How many simultaneous online users do you have?

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

GoDaddy.com, HostGator, BlueHost, ASmallOrange, lithiumhosting.com/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

You can get the "small" plan at asmallorange.com and fit within your budget as well as have the space for a proper database and growth. Most basic shared hosting will cost between $40 and $60 a year.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...