Getting strange characters in new posts and imported posts...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • protagonist
    • Feb 2013
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Getting strange characters in new posts and imported posts...

When a user today tried to write ( touché ) it displayed as ( Touché )

In my imported posts, things like apostrophes ( ' ) as ( ’ ) and pound symbols ( £ ) as ( £ ).

In all imported posts it has also turned what was previously paragraph breaks into a huge gaps. What can I do to remedy this?
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

What is the collation of your database and your tables? Did this problem start after importing a complete database?
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• protagonist
      • Feb 2013
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Hartmut
      What is the collation of your database and your tables? Did this problem start after importing a complete database?
      latin1_swedish_ci

Yes, I've imported multiple boards through impex. The imported posts are the ones with the â character issue.

But new posts don't appear to be able to display special characters either.

Comment

• protagonist
        • Feb 2013
        • 4.2.X

Anybody?

It's not like apostrophes are uncommonly used characters. Having ' appear in the middle of words all over looks like a complete mess.

Comment

• protagonist
          • Feb 2013
          • 4.2.X

It's okay. We're all loving vbulletin's crazy characters now. It's not annoying at all to read.

Comment

• Hartmut
            • Nov 2007
            • 4.2.x

Did you try to change the collations to UTF-8 yet? (Always make a backup of the database before working on the it!)
            No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...