X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vintum
    • Jan 2013
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Spam attack?

Hello, I have recently started my forum and just about an hour ago it appeared to have come under attack. I had a few different IP ranges that were all opening multiple sessions and each one appearing as a separate "guest". I banned these IP ranges, and the flooding seems to be stopping for now.

But now my question is what could this actually have been? And how can I prevent this?

During this "attack" my website was going quite slow, but still functional. I turned off access for a few minutes while I installed a spambot plugin and turned it back on.

I have attached a screenshot of my "who's online" in case someone wanted to see it.
    Attached Files
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I don't even see that many ip's listed, a simple whois: http://whois.domaintools.com/5.248.81.95

Each ip is a unique person, as far as vbulletin is concerned, and even then they can be more unique (cookied user, different session).

It could be any number of things.

Comment

• Vintum
      • Jan 2013
      • 4.2.X

Yes, They are all the same few IPs. I have banned them a few hours ago, and yet they are still actually continuing to try and access my website. I have been holding steady at about 40 guest users for the past few hours. Normally I'm only at about 2 - 5.

I just don't understand what could be going on here. It all started with a few spam threads, and as soon as I deleted those, I started getting flooded. These are all the same IPs as the spam thread creator, so I can only assume they are all spam bots.

Comment

• dizzynation
        • Jun 2011
        • 4.2.X

Vintum, I highly recommend go to -- AdminCP --> Settings ---> Human Verification

and adding some "Question/Answers"
        www.filmmakerforum.org
        www.digidistribution.com

Comment

• Vintum
          • Jan 2013
          • 4.2.X

Yes, I had already done that when I first started up. I was online when the first few spam accounts were being created, and I noticed them popping up but not making any posts. There were 4 total. I thought it was odd so I went in to check the IPs and emails, and found them to all be related so I started to ban them. I went back out to the forum to find several new spam threads from two of the users - the ones I banned last. So they all started trying to post at the same time after having the 4 accounts registered.
          Human started the setup maybe? Since then, the same IPs have continued to try and access for the past few hours, but no new accounts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...