X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RazorsEdge
    • Mar 2012
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Hundreds of spam private messages

I recently had a couple users including myself get spammed by a few members on my site. What is happening is when a user sends a pm to someone, from time to time the message gets resent over and over again, sometime several hundred times. I received a pm from a member and the message was sent 900 times. This does nto happen all the time and has only happened to a few members but could turn into a problem.

Any ideas to the problem? I have not added any mods to the site in some time and currently running the latest version of 4.2
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

What do you mean the message is sent 900 times? Do you mean a user sent a PM to you and you got the exact same one 900 times? Is it listed as 900 different PMs in the database?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• RazorsEdge
      • Mar 2012
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Lynne
      What do you mean the message is sent 900 times? Do you mean a user sent a PM to you and you got the exact same one 900 times? Is it listed as 900 different PMs in the database?
      That is exactly what I am saying. I just had it happen again after posting this thread. Seems anybody using the proxy1 website to access my site has the ability to do this.

- - - Updated - - -

How can I block anyone using proxy1.org from my website?

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

I have never heard of this happening. And do you allow your users to send 900 PMs?

We don't have a way to block proxies in default vbulletin, you would need a modification to do that.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• RazorsEdge
          • Mar 2012
          • 4.2.X

I have never heard of this happening. And do you allow your users to send 900 PMs?

We don't have a way to block proxies in default vbulletin, you would need a modification to do that.
          Bummer, Ok thank you! I guess I will look into finding a mod or something that will help.

Comment

• RazorsEdge
            • Mar 2012
            • 4.2.X

I am still having this problem. Seems anybody on the site using a proxy that sends a pm, the pm will send over and over again and not stop until the persons pm box is full. Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

In Usergroup Manager > these newly registered users (spammers), what do you have Message Throttle Quantity set to? and what is AdminCP > Settings > Options > PM options > Throttle Check Period (minutes) and Floodcheck set to?

Comment

• liamwli
                • Feb 2012
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by RazorsEdge
                I am still having this problem. Seems anybody on the site using a proxy that sends a pm, the pm will send over and over again and not stop until the persons pm box is full. Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated.
                It could be that the proxy site is causing the page to be reloaded multiple times. I would suggest you implement the throttle system to stop this

Comment

• RazorsEdge
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 4.2.X

have implemented the throttle controls. I hope this will take care of the problem.

Thanks for everyones help!

Comment

• dizzynation
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 4.2.X

I have never heard of this happening. And do you allow your users to send 900 PMs? We don't have a way to block proxies in default vbulletin, you would need a modification to do that.
                    I has happened to me too, but not 900 times, maybe about 7-9 times....
                    www.filmmakerforum.org
                    www.digidistribution.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...