X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alessio
    • Mar 2007
    • 5.1.x

[Forum] Aggressively spammed: help on how to stem, questions and answers

Hello all, i have search about spam threads but nothing more useful or more (if it is possible) advanced have come out.
    The problem is, that also with any available human verification manager feature activated on vBulletin administration, i found any day, more or less 500 or 600 new spam threads to be MODERATED on any activated forum. The image verification fail and is very easily bypassed by spammers, and as i can see is very easily to be bypassed also reCAPTCHA. With any of this two antispam measures activated, thousand of new spam threads are posted any day and by the way, and it is impossible to stem it. The only one way to relatively stem spam is the Question and Answer Verification option, that any way is also bypassed by spammers, but in this case, from 3000, 4000 spam threads posted in one day (using reCAPTCHA and Image verification), spam threads decrease until 500, 600 every day.
    The worse is that any day, almost one or two posts are validated by the system, and this posts are not marked as MODERATED, this spam threads are visible to all.

Any help and suggestion is really (but really) welcome, thank you.
    Last edited by alessio; Wed 23 Jan '13, 12:17am.
    Integrations of any CMS with vBulletin
  • Fergal
    • Dec 2004

[GlowHost] Spam-O-Matic - Spam Firewall stops forum spam, works pretty well on my forum, it might help you too.
    Fergal Crawley
    Business Advice Forum

Forum Promotion

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by alessio
      The only one way to relatively stem spam is the Question and Answer Verification option, that any way is also bypassed by spammers, but in this case, from 3000, 4000 spam threads posted in one day (using reCAPTCHA and Image verification), spam threads decrease until 500, 600 every day.
      As soon as you see that spam is on the increase change your questions and answers.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

The two answers above are the best solutions.

Change your questions and answers and make sure they aren't simple ones or mathematical equations, as these are easily bypassed. Make the questions relevant to your site's niche but not simple and easy to guess.

Install the Spam-O-Matic addon mentioned above. Although we can't officially support modifications, loads of sites are using this addon, me included, and it will cut your spam dramatically. My advice when using it is not to have username checking enabled as this can easily block genuine accounts.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• whitetailworld
          • Jan 2013
          • 4.2.X

i have an outdoor related website. i only expect traffic from USA and Canada. I have blocked all traffic outside of these 2 countries. very, very rarely does someone get in outside of those 2. most of the work was done in the .htaccess file. i must say though there are still a few everyday that register with an ip address from the USA. if anyone is interested in what i did send me a pm or email <REMOVED>
          Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Fri 25 Jan '13, 1:08am. Reason: Email address removed

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by whitetailworld
            i have an outdoor related website. i only expect traffic from USA and Canada. I have blocked all traffic outside of these 2 countries. very, very rarely does someone get in outside of those 2. most of the work was done in the .htaccess file. i must say though there are still a few everyday that register with an ip address from the USA. if anyone is interested in what i did send me a pm or email
            That is one way but unless a site is very localised I would not recommend that method.
            Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Fri 25 Jan '13, 1:09am. Reason: Removed email address from quote
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

i have an outdoor related website. i only expect traffic from USA and Canada.
              I receive quite a few spam emails from the USA, failed registrations with US IPs, so should I block the USA as well?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

i have an outdoor related website. i only expect traffic from USA and Canada. I have blocked all traffic outside of these 2 countries. very, very rarely does someone get in outside of those 2. most of the work was done in the .htaccess file. i must say though there are still a few everyday that register with an ip address from the USA. if anyone is interested in what i did send me a pm or email <REMOVED>
                I've removed your email address from your post...

Rather than keeping advice for other website owners hidden, why not simply post up what you did? Alternatively, if you used instructions freely available on the web, post a link to where you saw it...
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• dizzynation
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 4.2.X

This is not a very good idea. You would be surprised how many people outside the US find your site from search engines. Not only that, Google will rank you lower if you block users that find you through search

Having a Question/Answer is the best way to prevent spam.
                  www.filmmakerforum.org
                  www.digidistribution.com

Comment