• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miket1234
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] How to fight against Xrumer?

Hi!
    How can i stop this Xrumer, anyone knows a way to stop it?

I'm using right now GlowHost - Spam-O-Matic and vbStopForumSpam but they are useless

Thanks in advance
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

Did you try Q & A yet? I'm not positive but I believe that Xrumer has problems with that.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by miket1234
      How can i stop this Xrumer, anyone knows a way to stop it?
      As Hartmut said,try Q&A.

Xrumer is dead as soon as it reaches a few good questions and answers.
      It needs a human being to solve the problem.
      That human being answers the questions and lets the bot to know them.
      The flood of spam starts.

Take the time to create 15-20 Q/A and change them when the flood starts again.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by beishe8
        Take the time to create 15-20 Q/A and change them when the flood starts again.
        This is good ^
        also I like keycaptcha, I'm pretty sure there is a vb mod for it.
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Loco.M
          This is good ^
          also I like keycaptcha, I'm pretty sure there is a vb mod for it.
          Not convinced by KeyCaptcha.

On vB4 it works but seems to stop ALL registrations, people struggle with what to do.

On vB5 it breaks after a while, it stops loading the image at all (no sign of even the place where it should be on the reg form), and then people cannot get past as it says you haven't assembled the image.

Also in recent weeks they have added a Facebook LIKE button to the image. I don't really want third party sites shoving their Facebook LIKE buttons on my registration page.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Loco.M
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
            Not convinced by KeyCaptcha.

On vB4 it works but seems to stop ALL registrations, people struggle with what to do.

On vB5 it breaks after a while, it stops loading the image at all (no sign of even the place where it should be on the reg form), and then people cannot get past as it says you haven't assembled the image.

Also in recent weeks they have added a Facebook LIKE button to the image. I don't really want third party sites shoving their Facebook LIKE buttons on my registration page.
            To steal a reply from someone else..
            if the users can't put together a puzzle, I don't think I want them on my site..lol

I'll be honest, I haven't signed up on a vb site that uses it, but I did just sign up on a xf site that uses it the other day and had no problems putting the puzzle together.
            I also have it enabled on my xf site and still get new users every day.

I don't care for that facebook icon either, but I know you can use your own image and customize things a little, you may be able to remove that facebook icon for a fee?

Still, even with the facebook "like" icon, if it blocks one spammer a day, I'll gladly use this mod.

Here is one of the vb mods, I'm sure if these issues that you've had were brought up, they would be willing to help.

Comment

• AlexanderT
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by beishe8
              Xrumer is dead as soon as it reaches a few good questions and answers.
              Anything far from dead. Nowadays bot software like Xrumer offer APIs to support 3rd party services where real humans can deliver the right answers. For instance, IdiotQuery is such a service.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

To steal a reply from someone else..
                if the users can't put together a puzzle, I don't think I want them on my site..lol

I'll be honest, I haven't signed up on a vb site that uses it, but I did just sign up on a xf site that uses it the other day and had no problems putting the puzzle together.
                I also have it enabled on my xf site and still get new users every day.

I don't care for that facebook icon either, but I know you can use your own image and customize things a little, you may be able to remove that facebook icon for a fee?

Still, even with the facebook "like" icon, if it blocks one spammer a day, I'll gladly use this mod.

Here is one of the vb mods, I'm sure if these issues that you've had were brought up, they would be willing to help.
                http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=257288
                Oh I can put the image together just fine. It's even quite fun to do. Relative to filling in a registration form on a forum, anyway.

However, I know some people are a bit bemused by what's going on, and that's because it's simply not what people expect to see on a registration form. Maybe if it becomes more popular that might change. But I've run it on three sites now and it has literally real stopped registrations dead. Granted they weren't massively high traffic sites, but it still stopped it dead.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept. But the Like button killed it for me. It's too much of an intrusion into a vitally important process, it risks taking people away from your site just at the point you've almost "snared" them.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------

Comment

• Loco.M
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept. But the Like button killed it for me. It's too much of an intrusion into a vitally important process, it risks taking people away from your site just at the point you've almost "snared" them.
                  I just asked on another forum and it sounds like you can remove the facebook like icon with the unbranded version.
                  100% agree on sending them away from your site

Click image for larger version

Name:	unbranded-en.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	3691131

and it looks like it's $24 for a year of unbranded, which isn't all that bad IMO

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

If I'm honest, I never objected to the KeyCaptcha logo and link being there - that's fair trade off for a free product.

It's the Facebook link. It's just too much. Fine if you can pay them but that's not really the point, having someone else's Facebook Like button splattered on a vital part of your reg page is just not viable in the slightest.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

• Loco.M
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 3.5.x

I guess that's the difference between a free product and one that cost $2 a month

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

I guess that's the difference between a free product and one that cost $2 a month
                        In which case they will never get the critical mass they need to make their product the "captcha system of choice" because not enough people will use it.

Few people are going to put up with that like button for any great length of time. A huge mistake on their part and a great shame as it will practically kill what was a very promising and well written product.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• beishe8
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                          Anything far from dead. Nowadays bot software like Xrumer offer APIs to support 3rd party services where real humans can deliver the right answers. For instance, IdiotQuery is such a service.

@Vilo- To build this it took us over a month currently having answers to about 11,000 questions, plus we have 3 dedicated morons who work 5 days a week to answer all new/pending as well as future questions. Some questions are pretty straight forward, some require extensive research and a couple if crazy questions that we were never able to answer. As for non-English question, we have future plans to hire some multi-lingual guys who have nothing better to do.
                          For a small forum: No moron would take the time to solve questions repeatedly.
                          For larger forums: First posts moderated stops them.

I'm X, new here.Hi everybody!
                          How are you X? How did you find us?
                          Yes,I agree with every word of your answer!

What? User removed.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Anyway to get back to the original post...I am intrigued that the OP finds things like Spam O Matic to be "useless". In what way? I use it and it blocks an awful lot of spammers. Turn it off and the floodgates really do open.

It's also worth considering blocking Gmail if a lot of your spammers are using it. More than 70% of mine do. I just blocked it. There is no point trying to fight it. Very few genuine members seem to use Gmail, at least on my site anyhow. It's all spammers.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------

Comment

• Loco.M
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 3.5.x

In which case they will never get the critical mass they need to make their product the "captcha system of choice" because not enough people will use it.

Few people are going to put up with that like button for any great length of time. A huge mistake on their part and a great shame as it will practically kill what was a very promising and well written product.
                              well Mark, I'll have to disagree with you there..
                              I'm sure there is a way to find a list of all sites that use it but do remember this isn't only for vbulletin.
                              They have plugins for just about ever forum out there as well as wordpress, joomla, durple, wiki's and really just about any site that you can think of with a registration page.

They also have ways to help advertisers, so it's not like all their eggs are in one basket.

A note from their site "The KeyCAPTCHA service provides free website protection against spam. More than 20,000 websites are being protected by our service. "
                              I know 20,000 isn't a large number by any means, but I think they have a pretty good grasp on what they are doing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...