Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocktrns
    • Nov 2009

[Forum] Changing Domain

Hello I am planning on changing the whole theme of my forum which is only about one game and broadoning it into multiplegames. I have to change the domain to do that. I am currently godaddy which lets me host multiple domains. I bought the domain,but how do I switch the domain over to my forums and FTP? will I have to transfer the database? What about the ftp?
  • AliMadkour
    • Dec 2004
    • 6.X

you can ask your host to edit your main domain with the new one. then no need for and transfers the new domain will work with old database/files

then - Open forum Admincp
    Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details
    and change settings with your new domain settings

don't forget to change your license with your new domain name ( https://members.vbulletin.com ).

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Need Help?, Or P.M. Me

Comment

• rocktrns
      • Nov 2009

Wow amazing thank you

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

Also need to change the domain in your member section on vB.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• OhP
          • Feb 2013
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by AliMadkour
          you can ask your host to edit your main domain with the new one. then no need for and transfers the new domain will work with old database/files

then - Open forum Admincp
          Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details
          and change settings with your new domain settings

don't forget to change your license with your new domain name ( https://members.vbulletin.com ).
          Hi.

I am with nearlyfreespeech.net web hosting and as far as I know there is no main domain or site in my account. At NFS there is no cPanel (or similar interface) and they are all independent sites, not sub-domains, add on domains etc. There all top level domains.

So if I wanted to change the location of my site to location1.com to location2.com I would change the domain settings in my vBulletin account and then install to location2.com and then remove location1.com? That would be my preferred process. Or do I need to change domain settings, remove location1.com then install location2.com?

Thanks in advance.
          Last edited by OhP; Sat 2 Feb '13, 3:18pm.

Comment

• Amaury
            • Mar 2012
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by OhP
            Hi.

I am with nearlyfreespeech.net web hosting and as far as I know there is no main domain or site in my account. At NFS there is no cPanel (or similar interface) and they are all independent sites, not sub-domains, add on domains etc. There all top level domains.

So if I wanted to change the location of my site to location1.com to location2.com I would change the domain settings in my vBulletin account and then install to location2.com and then remove location1.com? That would be my preferred process. Or do I need to change domain settings, remove location1.com then install location2.com?

Thanks in advance.
            You should start your own thread and provide as much detail as possible.
            Former vBulletin user

Comment