X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zero477
    • Jan 2012

[Forum] Super Big Forum questions

Hello,

I am doing a huge site ... My chief has asked me to do a forum for each of the procuts of the company 60,000 ... that would mean that I will need to do 60,000 forums ...

Any problems with that?
    Suggestions? advice?

greetings,
    Eddie
  • AliMadkour
    • Dec 2004
    • 6.X

No,No problem with that! you can create unlimited forums !

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Need Help?, Or P.M. Me

Comment

• zero477
      • Jan 2012

Thanks AliMadjour,

I have created the 60,000 forums ... I have a little problem ... the Column childlist is set to TEXT an I think it cannot contain all the information of the childs.

Does this matter?

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by zero477
        I have created the 60,000 forums ... I have a little problem ... the Column childlist is set to TEXT an I think it cannot contain all the information of the childs.

Does this matter?
        60,000 forums is a nice figure.
        Does not matter anything with that.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• zero477
          • Jan 2012

Hello guys,

Thanks to all your answers This is what is happening now:

1. I created a parent/container forum which is a category and a link (so nobody can open that forum/category)
          2. Then I created 5,000 child forums for the first 5,000 products directly on the db (I also changed the column childlist to mediumtext insted of text)
          3. Then I went to the ACP -> Maintenance -> General Update Tools -> Rebuild Forum Information (100 per cycle)
          4. Everything went good

Then I did the process above adding the next 55,000 forums. If I go to the URL of one of the first 5,000 forums it works fine but if i go directly to the URL of one of the next 55,000 forums the follosing message appears:

test, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
          1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
          2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
          Can somebody help me fix this?

Greetings,
          Eddie

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by AliMadkour
            No,No problem with that! you can create unlimited forums !
            This actually is a mistake. vBulletin doesn't enforce a specific limit itself however due to limitations in MySQL and PHP there are indeed limits to the number of forums. For VB4 the hard limit is 65,535. However a practical limit in terms of memory and column sizes will probably show up before you hit that number.

Comment

• zero477
              • Jan 2012

Thanks Joe,

I have not been able to solve the issue ... could someone tell me what are the tables that I should alter to INSERT all the forums?? Currently I am inserting in the forum and forumpermission table ... Is anything else needed to be modified?

Normally, when vBulletin finishes the "Rebuild Forum Information" process it goes back to the General Update Tools page ... nevertheless it does not do it now... (maybe that is a hint of what is going on)

Greetings,
              Eddie

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

The fact rebuild forum info isn't completing means you are likely running into some type of timeout or error... I'm assuming you aren't getting any MySQL database errors but maybe you can check your PHP error log to see if any errors?

Out of curiosity have you maxed out your PHP memory limits, timeouts, query lengths, and the like? Basically all the values listed on the main page of the Admin CP. Operating at 60,000 forums, if possible, you'll need a lot of memory.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...