Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jennifer2010
    • Mar 2011

New security patch required?

If I'm not using publishing suite (just forum) do I have to upgrade?
  • miketrin
    • Jun 2006
    • 4.1.x

I'd like to know too. I've never used CMS or the Blog and have them disabled.

Comment

• Silviu
      • May 2001
      • 3.6.x

Bump for an answer, I think there are a lot of forum admins in this situation.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

The recently released 4.2.2 Patch Level 3 is only really essential for those with the CMS. Although it won't do any harm if you did upload it.
        Note that for users already running 4.2.2 it is NOT an upgrade - it's just a patch file.
        If however you are running a lower version of vb4 than 4.2.2 then you MUST carry out a FULL upgrade to 4.2.2 PL3. This involves downloading the full package and running the upgrade script.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by miketrin
          There's a big difference between NOT HAVING the cms (as in, the old "Forum Only" vB4 license), and simply having it disabled.
          In your case, if you are running 4.2.2 you should apply the patch. If you are running an earlier version than 4.2.2, you should carry out a full upgrade.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------

Comment

• Silviu
            • May 2001
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
            There's a big difference between NOT HAVING the cms (as in, the old "Forum Only" vB4 license), and simply having it disabled.
            In your case, if you are running 4.2.2 you should apply the patch. If you are running an earlier version than 4.2.2, you should carry out a full upgrade.
            And if someone remained on the 4.1 branch because certain plugins are broken by 4.2.x, now they have to choose between screwing their users over / hiring a developer to fix the plugins / wasting hours of dev time to find workarounds or risk being hacked?

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

There is no difference between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 except the latters ability to work on PHP 5.4 so there are no reasons not to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2

Comment

• Silviu
                • May 2001
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by donald1234
                There is no difference between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 except the latters ability to work on PHP 5.4 so there are no reasons not to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2
                Please read more carefully, I said 4.1 branch (the latest being 4.1.12 PL4), not 4.2.1.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Silviu

And if someone remained on the 4.1 branch because certain plugins are broken by 4.2.x, now they have to choose between screwing their users over / hiring a developer to fix the plugins / wasting hours of dev time to find workarounds or risk being hacked?
                  We don't support obsolete versions of the software, and neither do most software companies, they will tell you to upgrade. We support the latest version of each branch - 3.8.8, 4.2.2 and 5.1.4. We;'ve always made this clear when installing plugins.

The vast majority of plugins for 4.1 will work with 4.2. The few that don't tend to be related to the navbar, which changed in 4.2. Most such navbar plugins are now unnecessary anyway due to the new navbar manager. Others fail because they aren't compatible with later versions of php, but if you have that issue you cannot stay on 4.1 anyhow.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• donald1234
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 4.1.x

Sorry, I have had my coffee now.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

There is always a risk running outdated software. Especially software that isn't receiving active development and only security fixes.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Jennifer2010
                        If I'm not using publishing suite (just forum) do I have to upgrade?
                        Originally posted by miketrin
                        If you have the CMS installed, then yes you should apply the PL3 fix, regarless of whether you have it enabled or not.

Well thats your choice, if you choose to stay on 4.1 you have to face the consequences.

In this case, the two updated cms files have remained largely unchanged across 4.x versions.
                        I believe that you could upload the fixed 4.2 versions without them causing any obvious issues.
                        However, you do that at your own risk as I havent checked this, especially as "4.1" actually has 13 sub versions (4.1.0 - 4.1.12).
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• airgunner
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 4.1.x

If however you are running a lower version of vb4 than 4.2.2 then you MUST carry out a FULL upgrade to 4.2.2 PL3. This involves downloading the full package and running the upgrade script.
                          I have been searching everywhere looking for a 4.2.2 upgrade (I am running 4.1.8) in order to apply the new security patch- where can I find it? In my account, when I click on "Upgrade/Renew" I am only given the option of paying to upgrade to v5 products.

A link to the 4.2.2 upgrade package would be great.

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by airgunner

I have been searching everywhere looking for a 4.2.2 upgrade (I am running 4.1.8) in order to apply the new security patch- where can I find it? In my account, when I click on "Upgrade/Renew" I am only given the option of paying to upgrade to v5 products.

A link to the 4.2.2 upgrade package would be great.
                            You don't need to buy the upgrade, you have a vB4 license so it's already included on your account.

Just go to the members area (https://members.vbulletin.com) and click the download link on the right.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------

Comment

• munkfish
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 4.1.x

We don't support obsolete versions of the software, and neither do most software companies, they will tell you to upgrade. We support the latest version of each branch - 3.8.8, 4.2.2 and 5.1.4. We;'ve always made this clear when installing plugins.
                              We are currently on 4.1.10pl3 - each time a new security announcement was made in the past, previously vbulletin always released a patch level update for our minor version 4.1.10. There were 3 of these patch level updates, hence we're on 4.1.10pl3 now. However for this latest security announcement there has been no PL update for 4.1.10 (or any other version of 4 apart from 4.2.2).

When did the policy of providing security patch level updates for previous version of v4 stop? Is there a link to the announcement?

If there are no plans to provide patch level updates for earlier versions - and it appears this is the case based on the comments by the lead devs in this thread and other similar threads from today - would someone please be kind enough to indicate how we would manually patch our older 4.1.10pl3 version? Do we do this by diffing the stock 4.2.2 against the patched version and then manually locate the affected code in our 4.1.10pl3 codebase and affect a patch? (edit: I can't see that this will work since the 4.2.2pl4 patch presumably has all of the patches from pl1 to pl4 rolled into one?)

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...