X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chriswh86
    • Nov 2012

Process Email Queue Fast Enough

Hi all,

I am running VB4 vr. 4.2.2 Patch Level 2.

My Process Email settings are as follows
    day of the week: *
    day of the month: *
    hour: 0
    minute: 0 - - - - -
    active: yes
    log entries: yes

I always seem to have emails wating in the Queue when I log in each day or after a couple days. Is there a way I can make it send out the emails as soon as 1 or more emails are present? Or at least have it send emails more often?
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

If the problem is that you have a lot of emails going out, you could increase the "Number of Emails to Send Per Batch" (Settings > Options > Email Options). If your forum isn't busy then it could be that the scheduled tasks aren't running, and in that case increasing that value won't help.

ETA: Also if you haven't already, check to make sure you have "Use Cron Based Sending" set to Yes, otherwise changing how the scheduled task runs won't make any difference. On the other hand if you have low traffic on your site you might want to set "Use Mailqueue System" to No.

Comment

• chriswh86
      • Nov 2012

My website is pretty small, It might send 5 emails per week.

I currently have Mailqueue set to YES and cronmail set to YES

What is my best way to go? id like to have all account related emails send out right away, I would also perfer PM emails to be sent out within a few minutes if possible?

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

What does it say on the front page of you admincp for "Number of Queued E-Mails"? And what is listed for AdminCP > Settings > Options > Email Options > Number of Emails to Send Per Batch ?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• chriswh86
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Lynne
          What does it say on the front page of you admincp for "Number of Queued E-Mails"? And what is listed for AdminCP > Settings > Options > Email Options > Number of Emails to Send Per Batch ?

I have 0 emails in the Queued and 10 for the per batch amount. My only real issue is that I might have 1 or 2 emails sitting in the Queue and I want them sent about right away...Should I change the email thing to try to send every 15 minutes or 30 minutes or something? instead of the *'s and 0's?

Comment

• dougdirac
            • Jul 2012
            • 4.2.X

I'm set to send every 10 minutes. You can also go to your Scheduled Tasks manager and selected Run Now on the email.

Comment

• chriswh86
              • Nov 2012

Should I turn off mailqueue and just leave cronmail on? Also, how exactly do I set it to run every 10 minutes, If i set the hours to * it runs every hour?

Comment

• kh99
                • Aug 2009

Yeah, I think you could try turning off the mailqueue, if you have few users and little activity. Try to make the change when the queue is empty, otherwise you might end p with messages stranded there (although I'm not certain of that). I think you can use the "Run Now" button to run the task manually until it's empty.

If you don't use the queue you don't need to run the scheduled task, but just to answer your question, if you wanted to run a task every 10 minutes you'd have to enter 6 different "minutes" for it to run, for example, 00, 10, 20, 30, 40 50.

Also, in case you didn't know, the scheduled tasks only run when people visit your forum, so if you have little traffic then you can't be sure when or if the tasks will run, and the hours/minutes will only be approximations.
                Last edited by kh99; Mon 15 Dec '14, 3:09am.

Comment

• chriswh86
                  • Nov 2012

I decided to turn off the mailqueue and I set the hours to * and the minutes to what you have above. it looks like it will run every 10 minutes now or so.

Are you saying if I turned off the mailqueue and leave cronmail on that it will automatically send each new email if I dont change the minutes?

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

If you want them sent right away, then you should set AdminCP > Settings > Options > Email Options > User Mailqueue system to No

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• kh99
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by chriswh86
                      I decided to turn off the mailqueue and I set the hours to * and the minutes to what you have above. it looks like it will run every 10 minutes now or so.

Are you saying if I turned off the mailqueue and leave cronmail on that it will automatically send each new email if I dont change the minutes?

What Lynne said above. And if you set mailqueue to 'No' then the cronmail and number per batch settings won't matter, and the scheduled task settings won't matter. Every email should be sent immediately.

Comment

• chriswh86
                        • Nov 2012

excellent. Thanks everyone!

Comment