Does number of smilies affect site performance?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • temp 4
    • Jun 2007

[Forum] Does number of smilies affect site performance?

my forum has over 800 smilies and i'm starting to wonder if having a huge smilie catalog affects site performance...
  • captainslater
    • Jun 2006

It is affecting your performance. Smilies will be loaded on page view regardless of browser caching options - 800 smilies are a huge amount.
    To infinity and beyond!
    Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
    captainslater
    - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• temp 4
      • Jun 2007

so it affects performance even if they are not being used? even if they are not being posted? even when they're just part of the smilie catalog?

Comment

• temp 4
        • Jun 2007

i'd like to know how it works exactly

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

One page one smiley: Your browser downloads it and stores is temporarily.
          One page one smiley repeatedly: Your browser does not download it it again,it shows the already stored smiley.
          One page 100 smiley:your browser has to download and store 100 images.
          Your user wants to choose a smiley from the 800: the browser has to download and store all 800 of them temporarily.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• temp 4
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by beishe8
            One page one smiley: Your browser downloads it and stores is temporarily.
            One page one smiley repeatedly: Your browser does not download it it again,it shows the already stored smiley.
            One page 100 smiley:your browser has to download and store 100 images.
            Your user wants to choose a smiley from the 800: the browser has to download and store all 800 of them temporarily.
            ok i see. so it's only if a user wants to use smilies and open the selection window is when it taxes the MySQL database, huh?

just want to make sure before i start deleting stuff
            Last edited by temp 4; Fri 7 Dec '12, 9:03pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...