• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daimpa
    • May 2013
    • 4.2.X

Backup via phpmyadmin

Hello,

I need to backup the database to move it on another server.

I don't have any ssh access, so I've to do it via phpmyadmin.

The problem is that the database is too big (1.6GB), so the export goes into timeout.

Can I do the backup few tables at the same time? How to restore them in the new server (I've ssh access there)?

Can you tell me the exact instructions for the phpmyadmin export setup? Which options should I flag when doing the export?
    I'm using phpmyadmin 4.2.5
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

I'll start by saying that I don't do that kind of stuff myself, except occasionally when I'm working on test sites. But in phpMyAdmin, on the page that lists all the tables in your database, you can check boxes on the left to select tables. Then scroll to the bottom and with the "With Selected" dropdown, export those tables. If you click on the "Size' column you could sort them by size, then maybe after you export the one or two biggest ones separately, you could do the rest all together with no problems.

Another option might be to ask you host to do a backup for you.

Comment

• daimpa
      • May 2013
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kh99
      I'll start by saying that I don't do that kind of stuff myself, except occasionally when I'm working on test sites. But in phpMyAdmin, on the page that lists all the tables in your database, you can check boxes on the left to select tables. Then scroll to the bottom and with the "With Selected" dropdown, export those tables. If you click on the "Size' column you could sort them by size, then maybe after you export the one or two biggest ones separately, you could do the rest all together with no problems.

Another option might be to ask you host to do a backup for you.
      Hello, thanks for the reply.
      I can't ask my hosting to do a backup at the moment unfortunatlty.
      Regarding phpmyadmin, is it dangerous to do a backup in that way?
      Can anyone also help me with the options I should flag when exporting, such as AUTO_INCREMENT etc?
      Thanks.

Comment

• kh99
        • Aug 2009

Oh, yeah, sorry, I see now you asked about the options in your post so I guess I didn't really tell you anything you didn't know already (and now I notice that it's probably easier to select the tables from the export tab page). If no one else answers I'd say try it with the default options. It looks like they would work for importing the data into a fresh database. To import the resulting sql files I think you just have to use the "Import" function and select a file, then repeat for as many files as you have.

Anyway, I know, you're looking for someone who knows so you don't have to guess.
        Last edited by kh99; Sat 6 Dec '14, 8:43am.

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

You can do it a bit at a time with something like this

Comment

• Omeka
            • Jul 2004

You must use the software MySQLDumper. Your database is too large and should do the backup to different tables, type attachments, postindex for example. Download the soft that I have suggested is very easy to use and if you have problems groundnuts as well, I will be happy to help you.
            https://traduzioni-italiane.it/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...