Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sivaganesh
    • Oct 2010

[Forum] statusicon image

I use only one statusIcon for all the forum section whether it has new topics or not. But vBulletin serves them differently depending on new topic from the url statusicon/forum_new-48.png and statusicon/forum_old-48.png

How to use only one image either new or old.png .
    | College student forum | Men beauty and Health Tips | Dress Forum [IPB] |

[For 6 Months] Unlimited vB Upgrades + $50 AWS CloudFront CDN (billed in my account) + vb.org Mod Installs - PM me. 2 Spots
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Easiest option would be to simply overwrite the one you DON'T want, with the one you DO.

So for example, if you want all of them to show the NEW icon, overwrite statusicon/forum_old-48.png with the same image as statusicon/forum_new-48.png (but still have it called forum_new-48.png).

Then you might have to clear your browser's cache or do a hard refresh, but you should then see the same icons for both old and new.

You might have to do something similar with the locked icons as well, for consistency.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• sivaganesh
      • Oct 2010

Hey, I should have specified more precisely. I have already made that way.

The thing is .. both are same image and why should I fetch twice ?

[For 6 Months] Unlimited vB Upgrades + $50 AWS CloudFront CDN (billed in my account) + vb.org Mod Installs - PM me. 2 Spots

Comment

• acwatts
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

If they are both the same image it seems pointless having them at all. How do your members know what forums have new posts if the image does not change. ?

Comment

• sivaganesh
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by acwatts
          If they are both the same image it seems pointless having them at all. How do your members know what forums have new posts if the image does not change. ?
          Forum activity (home page) and last post in forum home.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by sivaganesh
            Hey, I should have specified more precisely. I have already made that way.

The thing is .. both are same image and why should I fetch twice ?
            Well you could always edit the templates and change the image path.

The trouble is you're then faced with re-editing them every time there's an upgrade.

Myself, for the sake of one image, I'd rather just put up with the double fetching.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• acwatts
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Forum activity (home page) and last post in forum home.
              Most people are not going to change page just to see if a forum has been posted in. (This is VB not Facebook) The last post in forum home is just text and does not look any different or stand out to members, do you think people are going to look for the user name and date/time to see if someone has posted. An icon changing on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb.

Comment

• GasMan320
                • May 2006
                • 4.2.X

You could probably make a symbolic link on your server from one file to the other, so that you only fetch once.
                Location Import Error Fix For Facebook Connect Users

Comment

• sivaganesh
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by acwatts
                  Most people are not going to change page just to see if a forum has been posted in. (This is VB not Facebook) The last post in forum home is just text and does not look any different or stand out to members, do you think people are going to look for the user name and date/time to see if someone has posted. An icon changing on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb.
                  I understand your concern. But I feel good that way.

Originally posted by GasMan320
                  You could probably make a symbolic link on your server from one file to the other, so that you only fetch once.
                  How to do that?

Comment

• GasMan320
                    • May 2006
                    • 4.2.X

mydigitallife.info is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mydigitallife.info has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                    Location Import Error Fix For Facebook Connect Users

Comment

• sivaganesh
                      • Oct 2010

Possible way through vb ACP?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Possible way through vb ACP?
                        No, you cannot do this through the admin cp.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• sivaganesh
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B
                          No, you cannot do this through the admin cp.
                          :/
                          I thought , one can do everything with ACP

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

:/
                            I thought , one can do everything with ACP
                            You can do a lot with it, but you can't reconfigure your server, which is what's being done here.

Really, I'd just go with duplicating the image. The overhead involved for one single image is really not worth being concerned about.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------

Comment

• sivaganesh
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B
                              You can do a lot with it, but you can't reconfigure your server, which is what's being done here.

Really, I'd just go with duplicating the image. The overhead involved for one single image is really not worth being concerned about.
                              I had to do and I did it to serve single image for all status icons.
                              After all, your reply encouraged me to do

Comment