Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtech77
    • Aug 2009

[Forum] Vbulletin 4 Patch Upgrade Question + TONS of SPAM

Hi I would like to upgrade to the current patch leve. My forum has seen a huge inundation of spam registrations and new forum threads over 500 new spam threads in the past few days it's driving me crazy. I installed a mod from vborg that helped but it stopped working or these bots found a way to crack it. Any suggestions? I want to install the new patch level but now that I purchased vb5 I see I have vb4 publishing suite. I currently run vb4 will this be an issue when upgrading? Thanks
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

It won't be an issue (you can disable the blog and CMS products if you don't want to use them), but you will probably need to upload/upgrade the entire package, rather than just the patch.

There are a few ways to reduce spam, using the Question and Answer Human Verification is a good start, but vBStopForumSpam or Glowhost Spam-O-Matic are even more effective.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• wave-rice
      • Feb 2011
      • 5.5.x

In addition to the Spam Prevention methods Ace mentioned, you could also deny registration if a user attempts to sign up with a disposable email address. A list of popular ones among spambots can be found here along with instructions:

In addition to this, it's worth mentioning that if you are not going to use either the CMS or Blogs, then disable them instead of uninstalling to prevent any errors.
      Aakif Nazir

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ace
        It won't be an issue (you can disable the blog and CMS products if you don't want to use them), but you will probably need to upload/upgrade the entire package, rather than just the patch.
        Originally posted by Aakif Nazir
        In addition to this, it's worth mentioning that if you are not going to use either the CMS or Blogs, then disable them instead of uninstalling to prevent any errors.
        Definitely wouldn't want to forget that.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• wave-rice
          • Feb 2011
          • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Ace
          Definitely wouldn't want to forget that.
          Indeed we wouldn't
          Aakif Nazir

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...