Problem with pop ups, members complaining?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam H
    • Apr 2008
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Please go through the steps in this blog entry: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entr...vBulletin-Site

However a brief look at your URL didn't show anything that indicates your site is actually compromised.

Yeah done that earlier to make sure ( one of the first things i did after discovering this thread) , The queries brought up some things but didnt look suspicious, some templates and plugins raised ( plugins mostly VSA forum rules etc )

I didnt think the site had been compromised and just assumed it was users with malware until i saw this thread with other people also with the same problem.
    The opinions expressed in forum posts are my own personal opinions and do not represent any companies that i am associated with.

Comment

• myu1
      • Mar 2009

It seems more members are coming forward, and in away glad that other members of VB experiencing the same thing. Not in a bad way, the fact that we can sort it out faster.

Is this a problem with VBulletin or our own computers?

Are there any questions we should be asking our members?

Comment

• Adam H
        • Apr 2008
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by myu1
        It seems more members are coming forward, and in away glad that other members of VB experiencing the same thing. Not in a bad way, the fact that we can sort it out faster.

Is this a problem with VBulletin or our own computers?

Are there any questions we should be asking our members?
        Ive been asking them them following :

• The address of the popup
        • The page of the site you were on at the top
        • your browser ( i.e , firefox , chrome )
        • the plugins you have installed on your browser if any.

I would also encourage all of you who get the problem to download and scan your machines with :

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
        So far it seems IE is the biggest contaminator but at the same time its not happening on any other sites other than forums apparently.
        The opinions expressed in forum posts are my own personal opinions and do not represent any companies that i am associated with.

Comment

• Amaury
          • Mar 2012
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by LorianP
          We now have about 20 members reporting this problem.
          It seems to exclusively happen on IE.

I use Firefox/Chrome all day and have never seen it but the second I switched to IE10 and opened our forum (http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk) I got 2 of the survey popups.

My machine is clear of malware according to Windows Defender and Spybot.
          Most likely reason is the Adblock Plus add-on you can download for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome -- it looks like you have it.

There's no ad-blocking tool for Internet Explorer.
          Former vBulletin user

Comment

• rob83
            • Mar 2012

Maybe have a few of those visitors with problems visit another Vbulletin forum with the same version to see if they still get those popups? It would at least determine more likely if it's their computer/browser spyware or your something fishy is going on with your forum+ie users.

Comment

• Mackeral_Fillet
              • Apr 2011
              • 4.1.x

I'm also getting the exact same thing on my 2 forums. Always redirecting and mostly adverts asking the members to take a Survey. I'm in the UK and it seems that many UK vbulletin forums are having this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on 4.2 and 4.1.12 both PL3.

Comment

• LorianP
                • Nov 2008
                • 3.7.x

This seems to be an issue with AdSense and IE.

Lots of forum owners are experiencing the same issue and afaik AdSense is the common denominator.

There's a big thread on the Google Product forums here:

I've just disabled all AdSense ads.
                Hopefully that will solve it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...