X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbeckva
    • Oct 2012
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Uploads - hitting a hard 16M limit with mySQL storage

Software - vB 4.2.0, mySQL 5.5.24-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 (Ubuntu) 64 bit. I have full control on the server (colocated)

I am unable to upload anything larger than 16M. I have confirmed the following settings are ok..

PHP Settings
    :
    max_execution_time
    memory_limit
    post_max_size
    upload_max_filesize

MySQL Settings:
    max_allowed_packet
    max_packet_size
    wait_timeout

Is there any other place I can check/verify? I can definitely see it hit the hard 16M "wall" per se.. In looking at the actual filedata table..

Running this sql here..

SELECT filesize, length( filedata )
    FROM filedata
    WHERE filedataid =(attachment id)

Results:

16983995 16777215

Obviously the detected file size of the upload did not match what was actually inserted into the blob field. There are 3 other files like this, all above 16M in size (one is.. or should have been 25M), and for each one the actual "filedata" length is still that hard wall... 16777215 bytes.

Where else in the config files can I find a setting to fix this, or is this an actual 4.0.2. known issue?

Thanks!
  • djbaxter
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jbeckva
    PHP Settings:
    max_execution_time
    memory_limit
    post_max_size
    upload_max_filesize

MySQL Settings:
    max_allowed_packet
    max_packet_size
    wait_timeout
    What are the settings for these variables?
    Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
    Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• jbeckva
      • Oct 2012
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by djbaxter
      What are the settings for these variables?
      Before I go look, can you verify that you can upload too? And that is with the files in mysql storage, not on the file system.

The reason being is that since posting this I dug further. The actual "blob" field type being used is a MEDIUMBLOB mysql type, which in fact does have a 16M limit on it. So either the file is not being spanned across multiple filedata records (not by design) and I'm stuck with this limit. Or it *should* be spanned across multiple records but there is a bug preventing it.

Or it could just be that the code design is to use a single record for storage - and in that case, if the mysql type remains MEDIUMBLOB then I'm stuck with it until the vB folks here get involved to fix it.

Comment

• djbaxter
        • Aug 2006

I use the file system for attachments. Why isn't that an option for you?

Comment

• jbeckva
          • Oct 2012
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by djbaxter
          I use the file system for attachments. Why isn't that an option for you?
          Newby mistake . Should have did that, but I thought impex would work better when converting from phpbb3.

Well, turns out that changing the column type to LONGBLOB fixed the issue. I don't recommend it, of course. But maybe the developers here can take note if indeed it's as simple as the wrong data type chosen in the filedata schema..

(yes, now when I get a good window I'll convert to filesystem.. heard it was much better.. <grins>)

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

I would recommend it. Glad to hear you found a workaround.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

I've got a bug report in for it, and its a known issue. If you're going to be uploading attachments larger than that, you really should be storing it in the filesystem.

Comment

• jbeckva
                • Oct 2012
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                I've got a bug report in for it, and its a known issue. If you're going to be uploading attachments larger than that, you really should be storing it in the filesystem.
                Thanks Zachery. Yeah, I do need to hit the switch on storing them in the filesystem - just a little bit nervous. What known "gotchas" are out there when converting from db to file storage?

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Not many, make a backup, give it a shot, worst case it doesn't work and you have a backup.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...