Importing Style And Settings To Fresh Install?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grimes
    • Jun 2012
    • 4.2.X

[CMS] Importing Style And Settings To Fresh Install?

I have vbulletin set up on a localhost for testing and style editing. My site is currently using phpbb on a shared server. I plan to move to a vps server with a different company, and import the phpbb board to vbullletin there.

My questions are:
    How do I import the style I've created on the test board into the new installation on the VPS?
    Is it possible to save board settings and import them into a fresh installation, as well?
    Am I making this too hard?
  • Matthew Gordon
    • May 2002
    • 1.1.x

Importing just the style isn't hard, just go to Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Download / Upload Styles, download the style to an XML file there, and use that page on the fresh installation to import the file.

There's no way to just import the settings from one installation to another. One option here, since you are planning on a fresh install anyway, is to migrate the database in its entirety to the new location. See our documentation on Moving Servers for more information.

Comment

• Grimes
      • Jun 2012
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon
      Importing just the style isn't hard, just go to Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Download / Upload Styles, download the style to an XML file there, and use that page on the fresh installation to import the file.

There's no way to just import the settings from one installation to another. One option here, since you are planning on a fresh install anyway, is to migrate the database in its entirety to the new location. See our documentation on Moving Servers for more information.
      Thank you Matthew for your prompt and helpful response. Migrating the database sounds like a good plan. I have another question in regards to that, though. The test installation has all the data from the live phpbb forum that was imported via the Impex tool from about 20 days ago. How do I overwrite that data with the latest backup from the live site with Impex when I switch servers?

Comment

• Grimes
        • Jun 2012
        • 4.2.X

Is there a rule against bumping within a certain time frame here? If so, I apologize. Patience isn't my strong suit.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Don't use Impex - all thread IDs, post IDs and user IDs will change if you do that. Simply:

- backup the database
          - drop all tables from the database currently on the new server (if it's no longer required) or
          - create a new database on the new server
          - import the database to the new server
          - copy the vBulletin files to the new server
          - edit the config.php file on the new server to point to the new database if any database information has changed
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Grimes
            • Jun 2012
            • 4.2.X

Thanks very much for the reply, Trevor. I mentioned Impex because the data on the vbulletin test site is from 20 days ago. I need to pull the most recent data from the live site that is still running phpbb before it's made live on the new server. I thought there was a way to overwrite that with Impex. How do I do that?

Comment

• John Lester
              • Jul 2000
              • 4.1.x

Close the live forum, back it up, run impex with the live forum db to your test forum db. Then install vB on vps and import the test db.
              BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

BrainTalk Communities Inc
              sigpic

Comment

• Grimes
                • Jun 2012
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by John Lester
                Close the live forum, back it up, run impex with the live forum db to your test forum db. Then install vB on vps and import the test db.
                Thanks for the reply. Will Impex just overwrite the data that's there from the first time I used Impex, or is there something special I need to do about using Impex again?

Comment

• Grimes
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 4.2.X

As soon as I know how best to proceed, I can migrate to the new server. Can't wait.

Comment

• John Lester
                    • Jul 2000
                    • 4.1.x

To be honest Grimes .... I never had to use impex on an existing database. I missed the part about you using impex before
                    BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

sigpic

Comment

• Grimes
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 4.2.X

To be honest Grimes .... I never had to use impex on an existing database. I missed the part about you using impex before
                      Thanks John.

I thought the way to do this would be-

-Turn off existing site.
                      -Backup existing site.
                      -Run Impex tool overwriting what was previously imported to the test site via Impex. (?)
                      -Create a new database on the new server.
                      -Import the database from the test site to the new server.
                      -Copy the vBulletin files to the new server.
                      etc...

The part in red is the part I'm unsure of.

Comment

• Grimes
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 4.2.X

Bump.

Comment

• John Lester
                          • Jul 2000
                          • 4.1.x

By now I would've said "f*** it" and tried Back up both sites and give it a go, if it works great! If it doesn't we'll at least have learned something

sigpic

Comment

• Grimes
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 4.2.X

By now I would've said "f*** it" and tried Back up both sites and give it a go, if it works great! If it doesn't we'll at least have learned something
                            Sadly, it's looking like that's the way it's probably going to have to be. I wish I could just get a definitive response to my latest question, though.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Impex is a one time thing, it imports everything that is in the db.

Trevors post is correct, do you have a question about this post.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...