Custom Avatars missing after moving to file system, not showing in blog comments

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • excessiveforce
    • Sep 2012

[Forum] Custom Avatars missing after moving to file system, not showing in blog comments

Hello,

Custom Avatars were working except in the blog comments and some CMS areas on my site, so I found a thread about moving the avatars to the file system.

So I chmod 777 the customavatar folder

And then tried to move the Avatars to the file system

My host says that my absolute path is, /home/content/t/w/c/myaccount/html/

so I plugged that in to the user picture storage type screen And I get the message

Your vBulletin settings have now been updated to store images in /home/content/t/w/c/myaccount/html/mysite/forum/customavatars rather than /home/content/t/w/c/myaccount/html/mysite/forum/customavatars.

But now the in the forum I only see a text link that says "usersname avatar" that directs to the users profile

I have a feeling i've messed up specifying the relative path but I'm not sure, kind of confusing on a shared server like this.

I did try to rebuild the custom avatars thumbnails, but it had no effect.

I do see the files in the mysite/forum/customavatars

any idea where I screwed up?
  • Matthew Gordon
    • May 2002
    • 1.1.x

The blog comments use the thumbnails, I believe. Make sure your customavatars/thumbs directory is 777 as well, then go to Admin CP -> Maintenance -> General Update Tools and rebuild custom avatar thumbnails.

Comment

• excessiveforce
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon
      The blog comments use the thumbnails, I believe. Make sure your customavatars/thumbs directory is 777 as well, then go to Admin CP -> Maintenance -> General Update Tools and rebuild custom avatar thumbnails.
      Yes thumbs directory is also 777 and I rebuilt the thumbs but it did not resolve the issue

currently custom avatars are not working anywhere on the site, before I tried to move to the files system they were working in the forum and some places in the cms, but not the blog comments.
      Last edited by excessiveforce; Mon 22 Oct '12, 9:35pm.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
        • May 2002
        • 1.1.x

Go to Admin CP -> Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type, select Move Avatars to a Different Directory, and click Go. Make sure that the URL to avatars is set correctly. It defaults to customavatars which should work fine. If it doesn't, try using the absolute URL to your custom avatars directory.

Comment

• excessiveforce
          • Sep 2012

no difference when I try the absolute path, vs. /customavatars so I told it to move them back to the data base and the avatars have appeared in the forum and are now working in the blogs and articles section of the CMS. Not sure why it doesn't work when I move them to the file system though.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
            • May 2002
            • 1.1.x

When I checked your site, it was because the URL was incorrect, it had an extra /forums in it.

Comment

• excessiveforce
              • Sep 2012

ok, I'll have to try again in the morning and see if I can get it working. Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...