X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intocake
    • Jun 2014
    • 5.0.X

Special Character Problems

I recently imported to vbulletin 4 and am trying to clean up my forum before running the upgrade to vBulletin 5. I can't figure out why I can't input any special characters in any forum inputs.

A basic example of the kind of character is the é in Pokémon. When I type a post with this kind of character it gets all messed up.

Example:
    I type: Nintendo's official Pokémon site. Latest news, Pokédex, games, downloads and competitions.
    Ends up: Nintendo's official [COLOR=#545454][FONT=arial][B]Pok

So it's really messing it up.

It let's me post in Japanese, but all the Japanese the transferred using impex is all messed up. Any suggestions to get my special character problems all fixed up before upgrading to vBulletin 5?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

When you imported the vb4 database, was the existing database using the same database collation and charset?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• intocake
      • Jun 2014
      • 5.0.X

Yes, both databases are utf8_bin.

But I don't think this is a problem with the import. This happens when just making a normal post. That example I gave is not from the import. Just trying to post a sentence.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

What do you have in Languages & Phrases > Language Manager > edit your language > HTML Character Set? And, what do you have in your /includes/config.php file for this line (note that by default, the line is commented out, as shown below):

PHP Code:
        // $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8'; 
        And are you using mysqli instead of mysql?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• intocake
          • Jun 2014
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Lynne
          What do you have in Languages & Phrases > Language Manager > edit your language > HTML Character Set? And, what do you have in your /includes/config.php file for this line (note that by default, the line is commented out, as shown below):

PHP Code:
          // $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8'; 
          And are you using mysqli instead of mysql?

For HTML Character Set I have ISO-8859-1

That line is still commented out in my config.php file.

Yes, I am using MySQLi, so it seems that I need to un-comment that line. Can I edit it and re-upload it and have it work without re-installing everything?

Also, isI SO-8859-1 what I need for all language support?

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

If your database is utf-8, then your HTML char set should be utf-8. You need to be consistent.

Comment

• intocake
              • Jun 2014
              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Lynne
              If your database is utf-8, then your HTML char set should be utf-8. You need to be consistent.
              Okay. Thanks for your help. Changing both of those seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment