X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZombieAndy
    • Aug 2003
    • 1.1.x

[Forum] Database errors being reported since upgrade to 4.2.0

Several of my members have reported a database error randomly appearing since updating our forums to 4.2.0 a couple of weeks ago.

Error is:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 18874368 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10485742 bytes) in removedpathname/functions_threadedmode.php on line 23
    Always the same script, functions_threadedmode.php, reporting its exhausted the allowed memory size and even if i edit the php.ini file and increase this limit, the error just comes back with higher number!

Any other bright idea's?
    My Forums - A Forum dedicated to the horror films comprising the George A. Romero "Dead" series of films, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead.
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

I've had a look at the code in the file you quoted, but can't imagine why you get such an error. What you could try is to disable the threaded mode or simply split the thread which causes this error. Then keep an eye on it if the error still appears...???
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• ZombieAndy
      • Aug 2003
      • 1.1.x

Seems to be multiple threads rather than just 1 in particullar and i think it would cause abit of a backlash if i disabled threaded mode, alot of my members seem to prefer it.
      My Forums - A Forum dedicated to the horror films comprising the George A. Romero "Dead" series of films, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead.

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

That's how I could see if that is the problem which I was thinking of. Just give it a try, you can enable it afterwards as I just want to see if the error is gone then

Comment

• captainslater
          • Jun 2006

Are very large threads affected by this error?
          To infinity and beyond!
          Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
          captainslater
          - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• Hartmut
            • Nov 2007
            • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Dominic
            Are very large threads affected by this error?
            That's why I called for threaded mode as I believe that this might be the error.

Comment

• ZombieAndy
              • Aug 2003
              • 1.1.x

Ive disabled threaded view for now and am monitoring it but to be honest im not sure what you guys are trying to prove?

Whats this error you think it might be and how do i resolve?

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

That isn't a database error. Other methods of viewing threads, like threaded and hybrid mode can consume large amounts of memory to display the data in that format. Which is why they asked you to disable it.

Are you still getting php out of memory errors since disabling threaded mode?

Comment

• ZombieAndy
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 1.1.x

I Still dont really see what your getting at, no i havnt had any more reports of this error since disabling threaded view but i am being asked already when its being switched back on, i cant just permanently disable it. Its popular on my forums.

It dosnt seem to only effecting large threads either, ive seen it reported in threads with only 3 or 4 replies, this has also been only occuring since i updated our forum software to 4.2 so has the way that data is compiled for the threaded view been changed at all? if so can you give me an alternative or can i use the old functions_threadedmode.php file again?

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

You can re-enable it, but you'll need more memory to deal with larger threads.

Comment

• ZombieAndy
                      • Aug 2003
                      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                      You can re-enable it, but you'll need more memory to deal with larger threads.
                      OK so why has this only happened since we upgraded to 4.2? we'd never seen this error before then so my question is really, whats changed to cause this and how do i fix that?

Comment

• acwatts
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

I keep getting a square checkered box flashing up then disappearing when scrolling through your threads on your forum, is that supposed to happen.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Nothing should have changed on our end regarding those sorts of threads. Chances are it is a change your webhost made, and it coincided with your vBulletin 4 uprade.

your webhost has set an 18mb limit on php memory, which is fairly small.

We'd recommend at least 32mb of memory. Be aware though that these mods are depreciated and not highly supported. They also typically take more resources.

Comment

• ZombieAndy
                            • Aug 2003
                            • 1.1.x

It was 8 initially, i increased it to 18 (and again to 30) myself to see if i could get around this error that way but the error continues just in larger numbers.

I Could keep increasing the memory but i dont see why a single script would need so much when it never has before?

Comment

• ZombieAndy
                              • Aug 2003
                              • 1.1.x

Ok guys ive increased it to 48 and tried again, the error does not occure while this is disabled but as soon as i enabled it again..

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 41680878 bytes) in /removed/includes/functions_threadedmode.php on line 23

Comment