Best practices for upgrading vBulletin forum?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GasMan320
    • May 2006
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Best practices for upgrading vBulletin forum?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what is the best way to upgrade from 4.1.12 to 4.2.0. I was holding off on the upgrade waiting for 4.2.1 but since that has been delayed I would rather just go to 4.2.0 now.

I read the instructions about setting up a test site and all that makes sense but I have these questions:
    1. Is it best to download vanilla 4.2.0 and install that on the test site and then export all styles from my main site and import them to the test site?
    2. Or alternatively, should I just clone my main site to the test site, and then run the upgrade on the test site? Then do I export that database and files back to the main site?
    3. If I do #2, how do I merge in all the users/posts that were created on the main site while I was working on the test site?

Or alternatively, do I just try out everything on the test site but then do all the upgrades directly on the main site once I've tried out the test site? And during that time do I just shut down the site? I have a lot of manual template edits to do which will take quite a bit of time so I'm wondering what is the best way to proceed that would minimize downtime for users and also allow me to fully test the new version for compatibility with my theme and plugins.

Thank you.
    Location Import Error Fix For Facebook Connect Users
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by GasMan320
    Or alternatively, do I just try out everything on the test site but then do all the upgrades directly on the main site once I've tried out the test site? And during that time do I just shut down the site?
    That's how I also do my updates, yes. And always be sure you have a backup of your database stored somewhere before you start the upgrade at you life site.
    I have a lot of manual template edits to do which will take quite a bit of time so I'm wondering what is the best way to proceed that would minimize downtime for users and also allow me to fully test the new version for compatibility with my theme and plugins.
    For automatic template edits you could try TMS.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• GasMan320
      • May 2006
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Hartmut
      That's how I also do my updates, yes. And always be sure you have a backup of your database stored somewhere before you start the upgrade at you life site.

For automatic template edits you could try TMS.
      Thanks for the response Hartmut. I went ahead and copied over my main site to a test site and then upgraded that one to 4.2.0. I've just finished changing all my templates to be compatible. Now when I do the upgrade on my main site (after backing up of course), can I just download the templates from my test site and upload them onto my main site and I will be completely set? Or is there anything else involved in getting a style/skin from one site moved to another?

Thanks!

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

Thanks for the response Hartmut. I went ahead and copied over my main site to a test site and then upgraded that one to 4.2.0. I've just finished changing all my templates to be compatible. Now when I do the upgrade on my main site (after backing up of course), can I just download the templates from my test site and upload them onto my main site and I will be completely set? Or is there anything else involved in getting a style/skin from one site moved to another?

Thanks!
        You should have done the changes to your life site then as just copying the style/skin could be a small risk left. In general you can download the style from your test site after fixing it and upload it to your life site by uploading it.

Comment

• GasMan320
          • May 2006
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Hartmut
          You should have done the changes to your life site then as just copying the style/skin could be a small risk left. In general you can download the style from your test site after fixing it and upload it to your life site by uploading it.
          I'm not sure I understand what you mean by there could be a small risk left. At this point is there a better way for me to move the style from the test site to the main site besides download/upload?

Comment

• Hartmut
            • Nov 2007
            • 4.2.x

At this point is there a better way for me to move the style from the test site to the main site besides download/upload?
            No, there isn't and if the style works fine, it shouldn't make problems. Just make sure that you always have a backup of your database.

Comment

• GasMan320
              • May 2006
              • 4.2.X

Thank you.

Comment